Expand my Community achievements bar.

"Primary User" not found in search results...

Level 1
I just performed a search for the last name of a user. I know this person submitted an issue, but the search results do not show the issue as I expected it to. I eventually found the issue and the person is listed as the primary user. Why would the search not reutrn a result for the issue when the person is listed as the primary user? Is this a glitch on our instance or is this working as designed? Seems odd to me. A search for the name of a person who submitted an issue seems like one that would be performed a lot. Thanks, -Jeff
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Jeff, Are you talking about doing a quick system-wide search? Instead, you can do an Advanced Search. Click on the drop-down at the left side of the search box, select Advanced Search, then select Issues, then filter by 'Entered by Last Name' and it should find what you need. This is the way I would do it if I was looking to do this sort of query anways. :) Cheers

Level 7
Also, you don't mention your exact search, but you refer to the "Primary User" and the person who submitted the issue. While I would imagine most of the time these are the same, the Primary User can be changed and may not be the person who submitted the issue.

Level 1
Thanks for the feedback David. What you suggested works. I also have a report I can run that does the same thing. However, it just seems like a global search for any keyword would show all results. If that was then filtered by type (ex. Issues) then it would include the issues that have that keyword in them. Including if the keyword used happens to be a name found in the primary contact field. It just really seems strange and something that would be a very useful and almost basic function I expected to see. Thank you for your input! -Jeff In Reply to David Cornwell:
Hi Jeff, Are you talking about doing a quick system-wide search? Instead, you can do an Advanced Search. Click on the drop-down at the left side of the search box, select Advanced Search, then select Issues, then filter by 'Entered by Last Name' and it should find what you need. This is the way I would do it if I was looking to do this sort of query anways. :) Cheers

Level 1
Thanks Greg. You are exactly right. In our case, sometimes our help desk members create issues on behalf of users and they change the primary contact to be the person who requested help. Although that isn't the case with this specific example, my question would still apply. Basically I'm trying to use the Global Search (top right of just about every page) to search for the last name of a person. The issue I was looking for had this person listed as the primary contact. The name did not appear in any other place so the issue did not show up in the results. As I replied to David above... this just seems like basic functionality. If you search a term (any term) and that term shows up in any field related to an item it seems like it should show up in the global results. Then you could use the selections on the left of the global search results to filter the results (ex. type, date, ...etc.) Thank you for your help and input. I just hope someone from Workfront might respond if this is a bug or working as designed. -Jeff In Reply to Greg Beck:
Also, you don't mention your exact search, but you refer to the "Primary User" and the person who submitted the issue. While I would imagine most of the time these are the same, the Primary User can be changed and may not be the person who submitted the issue.