Expand my Community achievements bar.

Quick Tip: How to modify Document and Proof Approval Reports to get the data required.

Employee

If you need to run a report that shows proof approval or document approval data, skip the Proof and Document object report and use a Proof Approval or Document Approval object report instead. These reports will result in a list of proof and document approvals instead of a list of proofs and documents.

Remember to filter the reports to hone in on the specific proof or document approvals that are relevant to stakeholders. Take it a step further by grouping the approvals by project with this handy text mode!

Group Document Approval Report by Project by editing your report, navigating to the grouping area and switching to text mode. Then paste this code and save:

group.0.displayname=Project

group.0.valuefield=document:project:name

group.0.valueformat=HTML

You can follow the same process to update a Proof Approval Report and group by Project:

group.0.displayname=Project

group.0.valuefield=documentVersion:document:project:name

group.0.valueformat=HTML

"Like" this post if you find it helpful!👍

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Community Advisor

I was finagling with this just last night, and we got stuck because we needed to filter on task or project data. e.g. Think along the lines of "show me all the document approvals that are pending where I am assigned to the task". In this case, would this have to be an exists statement filter?

(I'm still not comfortable with exists statements, so I ended up making mine a document report so I could filter on the relevant task data and then filter in the doc approval collections for the relevant doc approval data)

Employee

Hi Skye,

I had to take this to people smarter than myself, but here's what I got. I hope we read your question right and this gets you to where you wanted to go.

Here's what we got for the "Show me all pending Document Approvals where I'm assigned to the Task that the Document exists on"

For a Document Approval report (no proofing):

EXISTS:1:$$OBJCODE=TASK

EXISTS:1:assignments:assignedToID=$$USER.ID

EXISTS:1:documents:ID=FIELD:documentID

status=NEW

status_Mod=in

Proof Approval report (we didn't test this one and it could be wrong if the Proof version doesn't equate with the current document version on the Task)

isAwaitingDecision=true

isAwaitingDecision_Mod=eq

EXISTS:1:assignments:assignedToID=$$USER.ID

EXISTS:1:documents:currentVersionID=FIELD:documentVersionID

I hope this helps!

Kyna

Community Advisor

thanks Kyna! It does help (in that it shows me my thinking was correct, it's an exists statement if I want to get task data). I might work on it later this week if I get a chance :)

Employee

Awesome! Glad it can point you in the right direction. :)

Community Advisor

absolutely and was a huge help. For me where I struggle is the third EXISTS line in your post (the one about which two IDs are linked) and I don't know why it's so hard (because it's in the reference materials) but I spend a lot of time sweating it.

With the clue you gave, instead of sweating, I am able to quickly pull out filters using the same linkage, like:

Doc approvals where I am the project owner

EXISTS:1:$$OBJCODE=PROJ

EXISTS:1:ownerID=$$USER.ID

Doc approvals where Team Awesome is the printer (located on a task custom form field)

EXISTS:1:DE:Printer Team=Team Awesome

Just in case you and your team of smarties ever wonder how we spin the knowledge you share with us :).

Employee

Oh! I like this, and that you were able to apply it to your specific uses! Document approvals where you are the project owner could be super useful for a ton of people because often I could see a project manager or project lead being the one who maybe doesn't do the approvals, but wants to know what approvals are still waiting related to their projects.

Thank you for sharing!