Expand my Community achievements bar.

Put a document (Most Current Version) thumbnail on a Proof Report.

Level 8

Is this possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Employee

Hey Sam, I had people check and it looks like this might not be possible, but I know there are some text mode wizards out there that might be aware of some kind of fancy work around.

Kyna

Level 8

Thanks @Kyna Baker - inactive‚!

Community Advisor

I'd kind of like to hear more about the use -- what is the report trying to do, and why can't we use the proof thumbnail instead of the document version thumbnail? And is it possible to get close with a document report calling out proof details?

Level 8

@Skye Hansen‚ It's specifically a proof approval report which we can't get close to with a document report (Unless you know how to filter document reports down to this). I need to display all the proofs a specific user is currently the pending approver on.

They want to see the thumbnails because it gives them a quick way to identify what something is. A proof thumbnail would be great! Support gave me the text mode for it:

displayname=Preview

image.valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL

textmode=true

type=image

valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL

valueformat=HTML

But if proofs are PDFs then it won't generate a thumbnail. Most of our proofs are PDFs 😒

Community Advisor

haha I'm not sure I understood all of that post. Also we still don't use Proof Approvals in our environment. But here's my question anyway.

Can you do a document report, and use the Large Thumbnail field on the view, and put this in the filter?

EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=PRFAPL

EXISTS:a:approverID=$$USER.ID (or if there really is a specific ID put it here)

EXISTS:a:approverID_Mod=eq

EXISTS:a:documentVersionID=FIELD:currentVersionID

EXISTS:a:isAwaitingDecision=true

EXISTS:a:isAwaitingDecision_Mod=eq

Mainly I want to see if that generates the same number of lines as a proof approval report that filters on approverID=$$USER.ID and Awaiting Decision=true. It does for me, but we have like.... 23 outstanding proof approvals to experiment with (most of which were probably mistakenly entered).

And my Large Thumbnail column shows a thumbnail for a PDF (I read that you said yours does not, but I don't know which report you're on and I didn't bother using your textmode since the canned field works for me).

Level 8

Uhhh. Wow. That worked.

If only I understood EXISTS filters 😂

The large thumbnail worked! It wasn't available as a canned field on a proof approval report and the substitute that support gave me would only generate thumbnails for PNGs and JPGs. Here's another question for you though - all of the sudden my text mode for generating a link directly to the proof doesn't work.

displayname=Proof Link

shortview=true

textmode=true

usewidths=true

valueexpression=CONCAT("https://melaleuca.my.workfront.com/document/",{documentVersion}.{ID},"/proof/",{documentVersion}.{proofID},"/view")

valueformat=HTML

width=200

Can I get your thoughts O great and powerful Workfront Wizard?

Community Advisor

OK long story, but I promise this is kind of related and I can't avoid telling the story because we're still in Classic and as I mentioned, not using Proofs. So I am zero help to anyone using Proofs in NWE.

About your comment about understanding Exists filters -- So my goal for the year is to hammer EXISTS into someone else's head. With that in mind, I'll let you know I'm not good at them either, and I carry the following around with me at all times and amend it as necessary. (I got it from wf-pro.com)

In the project report you are making, show projects that:

1. here's my Without line, in case I need one: EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
  2. What's the collection I'm grabbing from? Tasks -- EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=TASK
  3. On the Project [this is my equating line] EXISTS:a:projectID=FIELD:ID
  4. sample mod line goes here, Task named “test” EXISTS:a:name=test

4a. EXISTS:a:name_Mod=eq

(I am good at projects and tasks and that's about it, so this is my cheat sheet that I use to translate with.) With that, I got:

In a docu report, show docu's that:

1. Skip line 1, we're looking for stuff that exists.
  2. I'm looking for proof approvals. Pull up 2 copies of the API Explorer and put them side by side. On one side, pull up the Document section, and on the other side pull up the Proof Approvals section. API explorer says you are looking for PRFAPL, so put that on this line.
  3. The equating line is the hardest for me. I don't even know why. Look at both lists and look for the ID line that connects the two. To prep for line 4, or just in case you're still stuck on line 3, pull up a document report and a proof approval report side by side. Start plugging in all the ID lines into each view, until you get 2 reports where both columns are showing the same answer. That's it, you found the connection between the two. This is where my crib sheet always comes in handy: it's a mnemonic that "projectID" is something on the task's side, and I never think too hard about it. Put the Proof Approval one on the left and the Document one on the right.
  4. (and 4a.) What are we looking for? Plug it into your proof approval report -- we're looking for approvals that haven't been completed from a specific user. Once you have that filter, you can copy the text mode into your document exists filter. Append it with exists:A:, and so on. Now, if you run your document report, you should get the exact results of your proof approval report.

Back to your question: all of the sudden your text mode for generating a link directly to the proof doesn't work. Not surprising, since you're in a whole other type of report.

Pointing at the obvious: the "documentVersion" part is from your proof approval report -- and you know this, because it's on the API listing for proof approval and we already know it's not in the document API listing. We also learned that the currentVersionID was a direct equivalent, when we did our exists statement, so at the very least, we need to make that switch.

So I would probably try that first. It begs the question -- is this ALL we need to change? Fingers crossed... I would love to hear if just this one switch works.

Employee

Hi @Samantha Isin‚

Looking for some other ideas of how to extend the proof approvals report and came across this request. Great solution by Skye..as always. From the Proof Approval Report that comes out of the box...you can also just add:

displayname=Image

image.valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL

textmode=true

type=image

valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL

valueformat=HTML

And that should add the image.

Cheers!