Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

PTO Approval

Level 1
Hello all, I am not sure if this was discussed before as I could not find it but I cannot figure out how to set up a way so that when a user fills out a request for PTO in a form that I created, it will route to their individual manager for approval. Meaning that anyone in the organization can fill it out and Workfront will automatically know the user's manager and send it to their inbox for approval. Any information helps! Thanks, John Carey National Heritage Academies, Inc.
9 Replies

Level 10
Hi John, you'd have to set up the approval flow first under Setup - Processes - Approvals - Issue Approvals. On the stage, you select the primary contact manager. On the project where those requests comes in, you put it in your Queue Setup, Default approval -> select the approval flow that you've just created under Issue Approvals. Regards. Polly Co

Level 4
A couple different ways to handle it (that I can think of): Firstly, to add the user's manager for approval of the time sheet, and make sure that the manager's email settings are instant for time sheet approvals. Secondly, if you need to collect specific data points that are not easily captured by the time sheet method, you can create a request queue for time off requests. With the time sheet method the user should submit the time sheet in advance, and you can easily capture a description of the time off by having the user submit a comment on their hours or even type of time off (sick time, vacation, etc...) by having different general hour types for each. Below is a brief outline for how to accomplish each method. Time Sheet 1. In the setup menu, create a time sheet profile that automatically assigns the user's manager as the approver for the time sheet. 2. Assign any user this time sheet profile (when the time sheets generate they will now have an approver may need to add an approver to previous time sheets if you're concerned about implementing this immediately) 3. Create general hour types for time off: e.g. Sick Time, Vacation, etc... 4. Add these general hour types to the aforementioned time sheet profile 5. Navigate to all managers and make sure that they have the "instant" box checked in their settings for "i need to approve a timesheet" in the notification settings. 6. Have users submit time sheets in advance of time off. Request Queue * Should only use if you really need to capture specific data points not easily captured by the time sheets 1. Create an Issue approval process that has "Primary Contact Manager" as the approver for a "Submitted" Status. 2. Create a project called "Time Off Queue" (or whatever) 3. Go to the Queue Setup menu of the project and Queue details 4. Check the box for "Publish as Help Request Queue" 5. Change Request Types to "request" only 6. Add any custom forms you need. 7. Add the approval process you created 8. Managers will now be assigned to approve the request. 9. Make sure all managers have the "instant" box checked for "I need to approve an issue". - Lots of flexibility with this option. You could create a project for each manager where their people can submit time to prevent managers from approving other people's time. You could make queue topic groups for each manager and have different queue topics for the type of time being requested. You can capture just about any data you want on the custom forms. Complicated but flexible. PM me for more details if you need. I hope this helps, James Bender Jackson/JTS

Level 1
Okay perfect, this helped me out big time! Thanks! John Carey National Heritage Academies, Inc.

Level 10
It's a shame that the "Time-off" feature available on user profiles can't have an approval process attached :( Jamie Hill JLL

Level 4
Check out my PTO Request Queue Video on our website. It shows how Fusion can be used to automate the PTO request to both the Workfront Time Off functionality and a google calendar for better visibility. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource - 2018 Workfront Services Partner of the Year Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 3
can you provide a link to your video? Jim Brown FujiFilm Medical Systems, USA

Level 4
Sorry, it looks like we took it down. http://www.screencast.com/t/8dITsIPw -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource - 2018 Workfront Services Partner of the Year Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
That's a great video of your PTO Fusion Google Calendar demo, Melinda -- nice job! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Melinda - have you tried doing this with Outlook as well? Any advice? Amy Pett CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.