Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Project report by original issue requestor

Level 2
Hello All - I am looking to create a report and am having some trouble. Most of our work comes in as a Request a Request Queue - so its an Issue of a Project. The issues are then converted to their own projects by someone on our project management team. When this is done, the Project Owner and Entered By fields populate with the name of person that converted the issue to a project. Is it possible to pull a report of all projects by the person that entered the original issue? Thanks! Tony Heinen Tennant Company
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 7
Hopefully, I am understanding your question correctly, but you can do an Issue Report and include the fields of Entered By: Name and Resolve Project: Name, which would give you the name of the person who had submitted the original request/issue, and it would also provide you with the name of the Project that the issue was converted to (aka the Resolving Project). You could also add a Report Prompt asking for Entered By Name, so you could run the report for a particular person(s). Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Tony, I agree with Terry Hynd's response and would like to provide some insight. It can be confusing that issues that exist within a project are converted to a project. I think term "Convert" is what causes some confusion. In most cases, issues aren't converted to projects, when instead, issue data is copied to a project (name, description, custom data, updates, documents, etc.) and a resolving object link exists between the original issue and the resolving project. Understanding this relationship is absolutely critical for you if you are starting with requests and then converting to projects. With this understanding, you're able to create issue based reports where you pull in or filter by resolving project details, which is really powerful. For your use case, here's what I recommend> In an issue report, you can use these filters as a starting point: Issue>>Resolve Project ID>>Is Not Blank (this ensures you're only getting issues that have been converted to a project) Issue >>Entered By ID>>Person (this pulls all issues entered by the person you're interested in) Now in the view, you can pull in any of the resolving project details you want: Issue>>Resolve Project>>Owner Name (show the owner of the resolving project) Issue>>Resolve Project>>Entered by ID (show the ID of the person who entered the project) In this model, you can actually make an issue report look like a project report because all you're pulling in are resolving project details. I prefer this type of reporting, especially in a "demand management" environment where everything begins as a request.

Level 6
We made a calculated field on the project to capture the Original Issue requestor. To do this, the original issue needs a calculated field to capture the Submitter person (Primary Contact/Owner). [You'll have this info duplicated twice on the Custom Form]. Then, when converting to a project, the Project captures the same field from the original issue. 1. Make Custom Field on Original Issue Custom Form. We called ours "Submitter". The calculation is: Owner.Name 2. On Project Custom Form, drag [Submitter] field onto form. The calculation is: IF(ISBLANK(Submitter),"",Submitter) When you convert the original issue to a project, it'll grab the data from the Issue's [Submitter] field and populate it onto the new [Project]. You can then run a project report like normal, and use the new [Submitter] field in your custom report. VRG Vincent Goodwin

Level 2
Posted reply in the wrong place :)

Level 2
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to use the Resolve Object fields to get the info on needed on this report. Thanks again! Tony Heinen Tennant Company