Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Program/Portfolio name on Issue custom form using calculated field

Level 7

Hello,

I'm trying to bring Program/Portfolio names on Issue custom form because text mode grouping (on Program/Portfolio - Issue report) doesn't allow Summary and Charting option.

By using API explorer, I'm able to come up with: {project}.{program}.{name} but it doesn't work. Kindly help!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Manish, so close! For Calculated Fields though, you don't use the "tech name" or camel-case. Just the regular name.

For Program... Project.Program.Name

For Portfolio... Project.Portfolio.Name

SIDE NOTE for people who change names for objects: If you rename an object in your terminology setting, the text mode in the report is the same program:name, but for Calculated Fields it uses the new name Campaign.Name

Took me forever to figure that out so want to save people time on that. LOL!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Manish, so close! For Calculated Fields though, you don't use the "tech name" or camel-case. Just the regular name.

For Program... Project.Program.Name

For Portfolio... Project.Portfolio.Name

SIDE NOTE for people who change names for objects: If you rename an object in your terminology setting, the text mode in the report is the same program:name, but for Calculated Fields it uses the new name Campaign.Name

Took me forever to figure that out so want to save people time on that. LOL!

Level 7

Ahh.. the first line in this article under Syntax section mislead me: The new Workfront experience | Calculated data expressions. However, the table shows correct info.

"To add a calculated data expression to a custom field on a task form for the Project Name, you use the following text: {project}.{name}"

Thank you! 🙂

Level 10

Yeah, I can totally see why that is misleading. They were trying to talk about the fact you didn't need valuefield or valueexpression, but the overall syntax is still wrong.

@Jonathan Chen‚ - Can we ask someone to please correct this? The table underneath the Tip is correct, but as Manish pointed out, right above it where it says "To add a calculated data expression to a custom field on a task form for the Project Name, you use the following text:" is should say Project.Name

Administrator

Hello @Anthony Imgrund‚ @Manish Singh‚, Thanks for bringing this up. I'll reach out to the appropriate team to get this syntax changed!

Level 7

With 22.3 updates, Workfront has decided to make expressions consistent resulting in new calculation syntax. Meaning.. calculated expressions will be similar to value expressions (using curly braces) 🙂

Here is a demo from Workfront: standardized-calculation-syntax.mov on Vimeo

FYI @Anthony Imgrund‚

Level 10

Hi Anthony and Manish,

Following, and interested. From the upcoming New syntax for calculations in custom fields video, once it is released, I expect that any (old) formulas with Project.Program.Name will be automatically converted to (new) formulas with {project}.{program}.{name}, and that the latter will then become the norm. I'm not clear whether, at that time, typing Project.Program.Name will then also be automatically converted to {project}.{program}.{name} (e.g. "on the fly"), or whether Project.Program.Name will be treated as an error (e.g. as a Teachable Moment). Also -- thanks for mentioning it, Anthony -- I'd forgotten about the "Campaign.Name" edge case for folks who've changed names for objects, so would expect that (old) functionality to still be the (new) case, with Campaign.Name being translated to {campaign}.{name}...but in the edgier edge case of then renaming the rename (e.g. from Campaign to Initiative), could also see how converting Campaign.Name to {program}.{name} could also be valid.

I'll ping @Lilit Mkrtchyan‚ to see if she can share some wisdom with us on these.

Regards,

Doug

I am trying to display program information on a project form with a calculated field, and I cannot get either to work. Example below. The field is on the program form called "Additional Regions". 

{project}.{program}.{DE:Additional Regions}

Project.Program.{DE:Additional Regions}

Both are saying it's an invalid expression.