Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Printing project timelines?

Level 2
Hi Workfront Hivemind, I have a workfront user who is on the go most of the time and while Workfront is so helpful for her project manangement when she can't get to a laptop and is off site, needs to have project timelines on hand in PDF form for ease. Here is what I know/what we've tried: 1. We tried exporting the tasks of a project but when we do that we get a great view of the task list and all the extra info (Completion status, notes, etc.) but don't get a Project name or the project status like you get at the top of the Project page. 2.In the Project Actions tab we can only export to MS Project. 3.We also tried to "Print to PDF" from the broswer but it cuts off everything after notes. Any tips or tricks that can help me get all the Project info?! Thank you in advance!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi: Have you considered taking pictures of the screen and sending them to her phone? (snicker) To satisfy the need you outline, we have to discuss the problems WorkFront has with printing to a PDF. It cuts things off. Sometimes when I open the PDF, elements I see on the screen are not in the PDF. I spoke with Tech Support about this and they said the problem is with the browser. In the end, we couldn’t find a combination of browser adjustments that made nice PDFs. I think WorkFront should add the ability to export to PDF, as they have done in other places in the product. What do we do? We have project status dashboards and we drop them to a PDF. We tweak the reports that comprise the dashboard, however, to accommodate the issues in printing to a PDF. Its kludgy but it’s what we can do right now. Fix the problem printing to a PDF from a dashboard and I think you’ll have everything you need. Eric

Level 4
Yep, I do a Screen grab of the Gantt and circulate that.

Level 7
We use another tool called Snagit that allows us to take a scrolling screenshot of the full timeline. Then we save that as a PDF instead of an image. It's a couple extra steps but it allows us to condense the timeline by collapsing parent tasks to only show what we need it to show when we screenshot. Workfront is rolling out an upgrade (next week?) to allow their PDF export to show indentations. You should be able to play with that and see it in action on your preview sandbox if you have one. It seems to work okay, it'll just always export every single task in the plan. Doesn't look like collapsing parent tasks has any effect on the export currently. To answer your first question, we have our PMs name the first task in the plan the same as the project name and then make sure that's the overarching parent task for the entire project. You can easily use a view then to get all the same information that WF displays when you're looking at their project health indicators. Hope this helps! Change takes time, patience and practice.

Level 2
I use a tool called Faststone Capture. can grab screen scrolling views. create quick videos. etc. love Fastsone.