Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Primary Assignment: Status -- how is this task status determined?

Level 7
I can't seem to find any information on the help site regarding the Primary Assignment: Status field. This field shows up automatically in the Monitor/Control list view when on a project screen and the status names are Requested, Working and Done (as far as I can tell). Is this a secondary task status that shows when the user clicks Work On It and Done? It doesn't seem to be tied to the usual Task Status in any way... A task can have a Primary Assignment Status of Requested but a Task Status of Complete. Hoping someone can help clarify this status please!
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi: Let me make some statements - let me know what doesn’t make sense: 1. When you assign one resource to a task, that resource is the default assignment; 1. When you assign multiple resources to a task, you can pick which of the resources is the Primary Assignment; 1. The primary assignment status (red box on the left) indicates what the primary resource has selected in MyWork. * Requested - the primary assignment resource has been assigned but has not clicked “I’ll work on it”; * Working - The task is accepted by the primary assignment resource and is in progress; * Done - The task has been marked as Done by the primary assignment resource. i. If someone selects “Done with my part” it doesn’t change the task status to Complete, unless there are no other resources on the task (I think…). ii. If someone selects “Done” then it changes the task status to Complete; I ran a report that shows me all of the Primary Assignment:status: values. The only values that appear in 73564 tasks are “Requested”, “Working”, “Done”, and null. Does that help at all? Eric

Level 7
Thanks Eric, yes this is helpful. It confirms my assumption that this field is set by the user's (primary assignee) engagement on the task -- meaning the Primary Assignment Status only changes when they click Work On It and Done. Worker engagement is a bit of a challenge for us so I suppose this can give us insight into who actually clicks Work On It and Done vs. who waits for the Project Manager to mark their tasks as complete. From what I can tell, Task Status doesn't affect Primary Assignment Status (PAS). However: When the primary assignee clicks Work On It, Task Status still is New Only if primary assignee uses Update Status to put in a % complete or changes the task status, Task Status is then In Progress When the primary assignee clicks Done, the Task Status changes to Complete. Does that seem correct? Thank you!

Level 10
Hi Barbara, You can change task's status manually as well.

Level 10
Hi: I think the only relationship between the “Work On It” or “Done” or “Done with my part” button and task status occurs when someone clicks “Done”. That changes the task status to Completed. I don’t think clicking “Work On It” or “Done with my part” does anything to task status. The only way to make a task “In progress” is to manually change the status to “In progress”. We don’t look at task status, frankly, because no one here has the discipline to keep it accurate. I have people who charge time to closed tasks on a project. They don’t care what the task status is. Task status doesn’t add any value to what they do. I think you’re on top of it all! Eric

Level 2
Eric, Can you help me out. Similar report: I want to see all tasks a user is an assignment on but not primary. Then is there a way we can see if the assignment user is done with their part? I have ben trying to create a report and can't seem to get it right. Amanda Hodge IEHP

Level 7

Hey @Amanda Hodge This is something we tried doing for ages and in the end ended up asking support for help! So our report looks at all assignments for a particular team (I have removed the team from the screenshot) and the last filter takes off any tasks/issues where the user is done with their part. Hope this helps! Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited0690z000007ZhjaAAC.png