Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need help aggregating into a custom attribute please

Level 10
Sorry about the blank message. I have a need to aggregate cost based on custom attributes. I'd like to create, for example, a custom attribute at the project level called "Capital Hours". That attribute would be a number that represents the sum of all Planned Hours for tasks that have an attribute called "Capital" set to TRUE. I don't know the syntax for a custom attribute to do this. I know some have discussed aggregation in other threads, but it still isn't clicking. What am I getting myself into with this? Thanks! Eric
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi - I clicked the wrong button and the message (below) went out. Oops. I have since edited the message and added what I’m looking for. I have a need to aggregate cost based on custom attributes on a form. I'd like to create, for example, a custom attribute at the project level called "Capital Hours". That attribute would be a number that represents the sum of all Planned Hours for tasks that have an attribute called "Capital" set to TRUE. I don't know the syntax for a custom attribute to do this. I know some have discussed aggregation in other threads, but it still isn't clicking. What am I getting myself into with this? Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Eric. In Workfront, you can calculate "down, but not up". So, if you instead make the Project Level summary parameter numeric, you can then run a report that does the summary by Project and manually type it in periodically; or use our UberCalc solution to automate it (among other things). Regards, Doug

Level 10
Thanks, Doug. I am looking for a custom attribute on a Project-level custom form that sums up the planned hours on all child tasks that have a custom attribute “Capital” set to TRUE. I think I do want to calculate down. I’ve been looking at the capabilities on the custom calculated attribute part of the Custom Form screen. I can’t figure out how to calculate down. Thanks again! Eric

Level 10
Ah...in that case, Eric, would an Hours based Matrix Report grouping Rows by Project and Columns by the Project Level custom calculated attribute do the trick? Regards, Doug