Expand my Community achievements bar.

Make a project form field editable in a task report?

Level 10

We have a need to allow a member of an assigned team to receive a task, fill out a field in a project based form and mark the task done all on one screen or report. In a project report they can fill out the field but they can't mark the task done or even list the task. In a task report, they can't fill out the field in a project based form. In the Home screen they can't see any of it in a team assigned task. I'm at a loss here.

Scenario: The project has a job number field that must be filled out by a "Job Number Issuer" team member. There is a task called "Job Number Request" in the job template that is pre-assigned to a Job Number Issuer team. I would like a "Job Number Issuer" to be alerted to the Job Number Request task, click on it, fill out the job number field in the Project form and then click "Done" all on one screen with a minimum of clicks.

Is there a way to make the Job Number field in the project form editable in a task report?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10

Ehm..."no" is the short answer, Randy.

Although you can "pull down" parent information (e.g. Project info to a Task report) or "iterate" child information (e.g. Tasks on a Project report), Workfront only allows information on the base object of a report (e.g. Project on a Project report, Task on a Task report, etc.)

So, a few suggestions:

• train people about this limitation and help them find the least clicks to get there (not wildly popular)
  • consider moving the official home of the Job Number field to that special task (so it's editable)
  • write an iterate textmode formula on a Project report that exposes that Task info (tricky; if possible)
  • consider using our UberCalc solution to automatically copy that Task level Job Number up to the Project level (i.e. in a custom text parameter)...or (assuming it is a "pattern"), even generate the Job Number Request automatically at (only) the Project level

Regards,

Doug