Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

List task count for each project in a project report. I can't think of a good way to do this.

Level 10

I could make a task report and group it by project and see the aggregated task count in the group headers but it would be a gigantically huge long report that would take a while to load.

Has anyone done anything like this with a project report?

Would counting a collection work?

Maybe do a nested(tasks).lists and then do a count?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

12 Replies

Level 7

Hi Randy -

I found some notes that someone posted here a while back that I think will solve your issue.

"I know you are looking for a single view you can export that shows project name, project reference number and total number of tasks, so like a matrix report, you could also do the following:

1. Create a Task Report

2. Filter for Task > Number of Children > Equals > 0

3. Before you add/remove any columns, go to the Groupings tab and group the results by Project Name

4. Go back to columns and remove all. Add in Project Name, Project Reference Number (In the column settings, summarize this column by MAXIMUM) and this one for total tasks, using the below text mode:

aggregator.displayformat=int

aggregator.function=MAX

aggregator.valuefield=project:totalTaskCount

aggregator.valueformat=intAsInt

displayname=# of Tasks

textmode=true

valuefield=project:totalTaskCount

valueformat=HTML

4. Save and close your report.

5. This should give you two tabs - Details & Summary. The Details tab will ultimately be a row for each task that meets the criteria, but the Summary tab is what is shown in the grouping bar.

In your case, the Summary tab will include Project Name, Project Reference Number, Total # of Tasks and Total Count (which is the # of tasks that meet the criteria of number of children = 0). You can then export this tab into Excel and remove the Total Count column so that you have 3 columns. "

I was able to duplicate this and in the Report Settings, set the Summary Tab as the view when the report loads and I see the total number of tasks per project.

0694X00000DTEA9QAP.png

Hope this helps,

Teale

Level 10

Hi @Teale McCleaf‚

Thanks for sharing this detailed info. It really works.

Thanks a lot once again.

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 10

Hi Randy,

I can offer a couple of suggestions, depending on your needs. First, the Raw Data (geeky way):

• in chrome, install the JSONView plugin (so the results are readable)
  • enter this in the browser tab then hit [Enter]: https://[yourdomain].my.workfront.com/attask/api/v10.0/task/report?project:name_1_GroupBy=true
  • viola: that's your numbers...export to excel and format as needed

Second, noting that on every project, the last task's number is in fact also the same as the count of the tasks (sneaky way):

• Create a Task report with View = Project Name, Task Number (Max, descending), group by Task Number, Project Name
  • Add a bar Chart
  • Run the report, then click any bar to see those Projects with that many tasks (see below)
  • Or look at the details
  • Or make it a matrix

Regards,

Doug

0694X00000DTEAdQAP.png

So both of these methods get me the end result I want. I was looking for maybe just a column that I could add to an existing project report that had a task count. But that would have been too easy!

But now I'm more interested in the API query you posted. I use URL style API queries all the time but I haven't seen anything like this one. I've never used the report query. Usually I use the "search?" query.

How does "report?project:name_1_GroupBy=true" work? Is there any documentation anywhere on that? I know it's asking a lot for there to be documentation on something but hey, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Level 6

Hi Randy,

you can find a little documentation at https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=workfront-classic&topicId=Content%2FWF_API%2FGene...

For just getting a count, this one would be more effective: count

E.g. https://emakina.my.workfront.com/attask/api/v11.0/tshet/count?&userID=$$USER.ID&userID_Mod=in&status... gives you a count of all the open timesheets of the logged in user:

{"data":

{"count": 40

}

}

Level 10

Thank you both, BTW. I forgot to write that!

Level 10

Ask.................................................................

............and.....................................................

........................yee..........................................

....................................shall............................

................................................receive..........

............................................................Randy.

Regards,

Doug

Funny, I've been doing this so long I didn't even think to look at the basics!

I did find a single column solution though:

displayname=Task Count

textmode=true

valuefield=totalTaskCount

valueformat=HTML

Thank you for the help and the insight.

Community Advisor

Does anyone know if a similar text mode exists for Project Count on a Program report?

Community Advisor

Hi Randy! Curveball for you here - I found this comment because I'm looking to do something similar. I have your text mode in a column, but what I'm hoping for is to show # of tasks assigned to the project owner. I have a project report grouped by project owner, and want a column that shows me how many tasks are assigned to them within each project. Yes, I could this with a task report with aggregated groupings, but like you mentioned in your post it would be huge. They are looking for high level # of projects with some project-related info, then a column for # of tasks they have within the project. Not ALL tasks, bc not all assigned to these users, just tasks to their team (the owner, in this case). Or if we need to add something to the text mode for it to search any tasks assigned to people in a home group, all good.

Thoughts?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 10

Hahah! Touché, Randy!

Nor did I -- I'd forgotten I knew that one. Well done!

Regards,

Doug