Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Linking Issues to Portfolios Via Custom Form Field?

Level 7

I have one of those use-cases that's incredibly useful and logical, and yet I'm lost for a solution.

In my environment, we have 12-15 Request Queues that intake various client-related requests from across the organization, as well as from external customers and vendors. On all of these forms, there is a Typeahead field to the Company object that allows our teams to indicate what Company the request is supporting. These issues live and die within their respective queues and are not converted to projects or tasks.

In our Portfolio, we have a 1-1 structure where every Company has a matching Portfolio. There is a Custom Form on each portfolio that has the same Typeahead field linked to the Company object as well.

From there, I have a request to put a custom tab into each Portfolio that will display the history of every request that came into any queue for that client, regardless of source or submitter. Giving my Account team the ability to easily see the historical collection of requests, even if they came in 2 years ago and were answered by someone else entirely would be incredibly useful.

Portfolios don't seem to have a native Company association, and the Issue object doesn't have a Portfolio association. But both objects have a Custom Form with the exact same Typeahead lookup field - so I'm hoping that can be leveraged somehow? Or there's another option I haven't come up with yet.

Any creative ideas on how to make this work?

Katherine

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If I read correctly, you can't use a custom tab in the portfolio to solve this because custom tabs always filter records to only those that exist within the object being viewed. So, even if you have the data on the request form that a report can use for filtering, a custom tab dashboard won't display it if the record is located in a different portfolio.

I would be inclined to make this a prompted request report with the company typeahead field as a prompt, maybe throw in a couple extra prompts like entry date or queue, etc., and sell it to the account team as an easy way to see all of a company's requests when they need to see the entire history, or make ad hoc queries for more targeted searches.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If I read correctly, you can't use a custom tab in the portfolio to solve this because custom tabs always filter records to only those that exist within the object being viewed. So, even if you have the data on the request form that a report can use for filtering, a custom tab dashboard won't display it if the record is located in a different portfolio.

I would be inclined to make this a prompted request report with the company typeahead field as a prompt, maybe throw in a couple extra prompts like entry date or queue, etc., and sell it to the account team as an easy way to see all of a company's requests when they need to see the entire history, or make ad hoc queries for more targeted searches.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 7

Hi Bill,

Yeah, that's what I'm running into. I was hoping for a clever way to trick it, or somehow make the Portfolio see the Issue as belonging to it but I've had no luck thus far.

The only viable option I'd come up with involved creating a Project under each Portfolio that did nothing but house completed Issues once they were closed out, with the idea of using Fusion to catch the closure and auto-transfer from the queue to the holding project. That seems like way over-engineering though, and would complicate all sorts of reporting that's already built.

I like the prompted report idea though, I think I might see about putting a prompted report as a tab on the Request page instead, then they can go there to see any request filtered by client/date etc.

Katherine