Expand my Community achievements bar.

Limit report to a predefined number of entries

Level 4

Has anyone an idea for cutting off a report after a predefined number of entries? I'd like to show the top5 projects with the highest number of actual hours.

For 15 entries I could load the report on a dashboard, but for the top5 I have no idea.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 7

@Doug Den Hoed‚ This sounds like something you might have up your sleeve. In the standard world of spreadsheets, I'd have a calculated column that looked at the total hours of that row and divided them by the sum of all the hours in that column and then rank the corresponding numbers so I could filter for 1-5.

Can Workfront handle a calculated column that references the sum of the column's data?

Level 10

Thanks for tagging me Katherine,

If it was warranted, I see an angle here for our UberCalc solution (or Fusion); but short of that, it is both Some Assembly Required, and some Care And Feeding.

Unlike SQL, there is no concept of TOP within Workfront. Furthermore, in order to filter down to only certain (e.g. top 5) Projects greater than some total actual hours, Workfront requires the criteria to either be persisted in the database (e.g. a custom numeric field at the Portfolio or Company level) or hard coded in the filter of the report.

Accordingly, Manuel, I'd suggest you:

• Create a Project report that returns all of the reports of interest, sorted descending by Actual Hours
  • Note the Actual Hours on the 5th Project ("The Number")
  • Adjust the filter on that report to include only Projects with Actual Hours >= The Number
  • Since Actual Hours typically go "up", monitor the report, so as the 6th (7th, etc.) gradually pass The Number, repeat the above steps to keep the report at the Top 5 Projects

Regard,

Doug

P.S. The UberCalc angle I mentioned to automatically calculate and set The Number (e.g. daily) so you needn't worry about the last step

P.P.S. (CHEAT CODE) if you place the report on a dashboard and size it "just right", only the first 5 rows will be visible, which might be sufficient for the casual observer

Level 4

@Katherine Stibley‚ @Doug Den Hoed‚ : Thank you!