Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Leap Session Q&A: How To: Create WPI Reporting on Velocity

Level 3

For this year’s Leap my session was about How to create WPI Reporting on Velocity.

I hope you enjoyed my presentation. If you haven’t had a chance to watch it yet - you can watch it here.)

I’m ready today to answer any questions you might have about my content.

Do you already measure velocity in your organization?

Did you learn anything new about reporting from my velocity example?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

You're right, the First Duration field is the duration of the project as stored in the original baseline. It's stored in minutes, so the value of 31200 that is stored in the First Duration field is actually 65 days. It looks like you're doing things right. The calculations for Adjusted Velocity and others use the durations values in minutes to get the ratios.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 1

Hey Chuck,

This is a great-looking solution, thanks for putting it together! I took a run at adding a copy of it to my test drive and am having a bit of trouble with the first duration field. I seem to either be returning a 0 value or a massive one (which appears to always be divisible by 480). The zero value is mirroring the value in the default baseline, which is odd but makes sense. In the case of the massive value, it is correct in the baseline so it seems to have something to do with the process of getting it into the calculated field. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

I've added screenshots of the baseline, the calculated field and the formula in the form.

Thanks again for putting this together, it's a smart strategy.

Here's the baseline

0694X00000G77gVQAR.png

And the huge value returned in the form

0694X00000G77gpQAB.pngAnd the calculation itself

0694X00000G77hEQAR.png

Correct answer by
Level 4

You're right, the First Duration field is the duration of the project as stored in the original baseline. It's stored in minutes, so the value of 31200 that is stored in the First Duration field is actually 65 days. It looks like you're doing things right. The calculations for Adjusted Velocity and others use the durations values in minutes to get the ratios.

Level 1

Thanks Chuck, I figured it was something like that when I noticed the clean divisibility but apparently my mind just wasn't making the connection. Glad to know I wasn't just making a typo.