Expand my Community achievements bar.

Issues Status Changed to New When Converted to a Project

Level 2
Currently Workfront has default statuses and my system is set to New for new issues. We have designed that all Issues come in with this status and it works great. However, when we convert an issue to a project, it will reset the issue status to New when it is in Planning. (We have a business process that walks through stages of status as it progresses to acceptance of it being a project). I wouldn't care as it is linked to the project; however, the system also emails the requester that the status has been changed to New and it is causing confusion. Any ideas on how to stop or change the email that goes out or change the default status? I am open to any other work around as well. I am sure there is an easy answer to this, it is just escaping me! Nicole Black FGCU
8 Replies

Level 7
This notification may be the one you are looking for, but would test it out to be sure. Under Setup --> Email --> Notifications, you could deactivate this notification under Requests I Have Made: Request Status Change to Issue Primary Contact (the status changes on my request) Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 2
Terry, Thank you for your response. I was hoping to keep most of those notifications and this will stop them all. However, this might be the answer I need to do and just change our Business Process to send updates when we change the status and want them to know. Nicole Black FGCU

Community Advisor
We had the same confusion when converting issues. Partially because of notifications going out, but also because users would see issues on their dashboard and wonder why they reverted back to "New" when they had already been in progress. The default status codes for issues don't match the corresponding status codes for projects. So when the conversion action occurs and the issue/project status is tied, Workfront selects the issue status code that is the closest match to the project. In this case, a new project (PLN) will change the issue status to new (NEW), because they equate to New. However, if the system were to find an issue status code that is an exact match (PLN), it will change the issue to that status instead of NEW. With that in mind, I added new issue status codes that are exact matches to our most common project status codes - PLN, CUR, DED, and CPL. Now, when the issue status is tied to the project status, it gets assigned those codes instead of NEW, INP, CAN, or CLS. And, the name of those custom statuses clearly indicates that the issue is now a project, and the status of that project. PLN = "PROJECT: SETUP", CUR = "PROJECT: ACTIVE", DED = "PROJECT: CANCELED" CPL = "PROJECT: COMPLETE". Now, the email notification serves as an indicator that the issue has been converted to a project and the project is in Setup status (which is what we call Planning). I also locked and hid those issue statuses, so users don't see them in their dropdown list for status selection. The result is that the statuses exist, but can only be set on an issue by the system, not by a user. William English T-Mobile
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 2

@William English‚ @Nicole Black‚ can you provide more information on this comment?

With that in mind, I added new issue status codes that are exact matches to our most common project status codes - PLN, CUR, DED, and CPL. Now, when the issue status is tied to the project status, it gets assigned those codes instead of NEW, INP, CAN, or CLS. And, the name of those custom statuses clearly indicates that the issue is now a project, and the status of that project.

What Equates With setting are each of these new Issue Statues set to?

0694X00000H6hPNQAZ.jpg

Community Advisor

Hi James,

Hopefully this helps:

0694X00000H6hVuQAJ.png

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 2

Can you please explain how did you connect project statuses because it is not working in ours instance..

Level 2
This is the type of answer I was hoping for! Thank you so much for this. I am going to give this a try. Nicole Black FGCU