Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is there a way to Report every time a Custom Form is used and the details within the form?

Level 3

We use multiple identical forms for Error Reporting. 

I can pull a Job report looking for any job that contains the custom error forms, however i need the data to separated based on each single form.

If I pull as a job report and multiple error forms were attached i will still only have 1 line in the report noting the errors.

I need a line in a report for each error.

Examples:

Current:
Job #1234, Error 1 details, Error 2 details

Job #5678, Error 1 details

Job #9876, Error 1 details, Error 2 details

What i need

Job #1234, Error 1 details

Job #1234, Error 2 details

Job #5678, Error 1 details

Job #9876, Error 1 details

Job #9876, Error 2 details

open to other suggestions as well to accomplish something of this nature

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Dusty_H,

I'm not proud of this one, but having thought of it, will offer it anyway.

As you've observed, a particular item report (e.g. Project, Task, Issue, etc.) will only return one row per item (i.e. "Job" in your case, mapping to its corresponding Workfront object).

Given your existing 1:many Job to Error relationship, I'd suggest you create multiple reports (which might be a first, coming from me), then place them one after the other on a dashboard, as follows:

The "Error 1 Details" report would show:

Job #1234, Error 1 Details

Job #5678, Error 1 Details

Job #9876, Error 1 Details

The "Error 2 Details" report (that follows immediately) would then show:

Job #1234, Error 2 Details

The "Error 3 Details report would then be empty (restricting my example to your sample data above), as would any others you need to then "cover" all of your Error custom forms.

To the end user, presuming the columns are all the same, it should be relatively easy to then work with the dashboard (notwithstanding the "gaps" between reports), but will then meet your need.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Dusty_H,

I'm not proud of this one, but having thought of it, will offer it anyway.

As you've observed, a particular item report (e.g. Project, Task, Issue, etc.) will only return one row per item (i.e. "Job" in your case, mapping to its corresponding Workfront object).

Given your existing 1:many Job to Error relationship, I'd suggest you create multiple reports (which might be a first, coming from me), then place them one after the other on a dashboard, as follows:

The "Error 1 Details" report would show:

Job #1234, Error 1 Details

Job #5678, Error 1 Details

The "Error 2 Details" report (that follows immediately) would then show:

Job #1234, Error 2 Details

The "Error 3 Details report would then be empty (restricting my example to your sample data above), as would any others you need to then "cover" all of your Error custom forms.

To the end user, presuming the columns are all the same, it should be relatively easy to then work with the dashboard (notwithstanding the "gaps" between reports), but will then meet your need.

Regards,

Doug

Yeah.. I'm coming to the same conclusion. Not really what i was hoping as doing any other reporting on Errors has to then be done outside of the system since we have the need to combine them into one list.  but it might just be the way it is for now.

Thanks!

Community Advisor

How many error forms do you have? You could have your report have a column for each error form field(s) you need to see at same time + a column for each job, sorted by job. Then you'd see the different fields that have a value in any of the error forms pulling and showing at the same time in your report view...

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

What Workfront object are you using for jobs?  Can errors  be added as a request on a job (task/project) only and then you would automatically get this type of formatting without needing multiple forms.

We call Tasks, Jobs.  We have new Projects with 1-2 Tasks entered for each project. For every revision/alteration we enter a new Job line within the project.  We have a very fast paced workflow and process 100s of Projects/Tasks daily.  I'm looking for a way for the team to enter Errors that occurred on the Tasks within each project when they are found. Currently they enter a form on each "revision" line when an error occurs, however there could be more than 1 error per job line. I was just looking into using a request/Issue within the project to see if this would be a viable solution.  Looking to see what the best process would be as i need it to be easy as possible to ensure we gather the data needed in a way that i can report on it without having to do any manipulation to that data outside of WF.

Hi @Dusty_H,

In that case, I agree with @The_Real_Melinda_Layten and encourage you to change your process: add the Error custom form to an Issue, and raise 1:many Issues (errors) per Task (job), then allowing you to easily create an Issue report with the one-row-per-error you sought in your initial post.

Good luck, and I’m interested to hear how you make out.

Regards,

Doug