Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there a way to notify a team about a request without assigning it to them? Like an FYI for them?

Level 1
Is there a way to notify a team about a request without assigning it to them? Like an FYI for them?
9 Replies

Level 10
If you are talking about a request made in a request queue, we've made an approval notice go out when the request is created. When the request is created, it's automatically set to a "New" status. So our "New" status now requires approval (it requires someone to go in and click "Approve" or "Reject"). If you didn't want to wait around for your team to approve a request before you start on it, you could simply re-set the status to In Progress if you like. Hope that makes sense. -s

Level 1
Thanks! That's an interesting option and might work. Appreciate the feedback.

Level 10
HI Amanda, Another couple of options: Create a report to run on a schedule which will email them and advise of all new requests. Post a directed update to the team from within the Request. Cheers, David

Level 2
maybe use the Update Status with a message direct to the person about the task. They get the message with a hotlink.

Level 1
Thanks for all the feedback. To give a little more clarity in case any one has any other ideas too...When a new customer order is placed, the queue assigns it to the PMO Team responsible for leading the customer build. However, we want the build team (who is not part of the PMO) to know the order has been placed as an FYI so they can be prepared. They shouldn't start working on it until assigned but it helps them to know what is coming. Plus we want some of the managers alerted if the customer build stays in the request queue for more than 24 hours without being touched. I know this is a bit of a non-traditional use of the Workfront system so that's why I'm trying to get creative. Some of these ideas should help us out a lot though.

Level 10
It doesn't sound like the Build Team needs to be instantaneously notified of the request (in my suggestion above, my team needs the instant notification). I would suggest you just run a report and arrange to have it on their dashboard or automatically emailed to them on a regular basis. I'm not in favor of updating status--it's too easy for people to ignore their emails or miss an email but when you coach people to use reports then everyone knows what everyone else sees. It's also important to talk to your Build Team. How do they want to track something once they've been notified? Are they OK with just an email notification? (again, I'm not OK with it :) Where the 24-hour managers are concerned, you can also arrange for a report showing requests that were submitted more than a day ago, either where the status is unchanged or there's no commit date (your choice). This can go on dashboards or get emailed.

Level 10
PS: here's a sample workflow of a queue I am testing for our group, in case you can get inspired from it. The workflow is a 7-day process and includes: 1) writer has to write the advisory 2) requestor has to review the advisory 3) email team has to distribute the advisory (3 day window for build and testing) The email team is assigned to the request. When the request is created and set to "New - Pending Approval" the writer is notified through an approval notification, and writes the advisory. (he can set up a personal task for himself if he's concerned about forgetting) The email team is also notified since they are assigned to the request. The writer sets the request status to "Writing Complete - Pending Approval" and the Requestor is notified to conduct the review process (loops in Compliance staff member at this point). Once it's approved, she'll set the request status to Ready for Email Team. The email team was notified at the start of the request and is also aware that until the status is set to "ready" that it isn't ready. Since they work via calendar, I'm just making different statuses show up as different colors.

Level 2
our problem is that the requestor gets notified of the assignment. Yet the assignment is just a temporary one to eval the request. The requestors are now bugging the assigned person. So it's kind of a yes we want to assign, but we don't want the requestor to get the notification just yet. Does that make sense? or tp not have notification sent to the requestor automatically in a limited circumstance.

Level 2
interesting. I think using the approval process might solve the issue. I'll experiment with that and see what the team involved thinks