Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is there a way to duplicate Request Queues?

Level 10

Now that we are all excited about being able to make a Request from within a Project (really, everybody is loving this!) I am finding that when I need to make a change to a Queue, or want to add a Queue to an existing project, it is manual for every project. Is there a trick or a way so that you can have one "master" Queue and then it updates everywhere? Or a way to bulk edit? Or make a Queue accessible from a Dashboard type of thing? Any short cuts or advice out there?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Community Advisor

You can make a queue accessible from a dashboard. Just treat it as you would adding an external page. The URL that works best for me is:

https : // <yourdomain> . my . workfront . com / requests / newRequestEmbedded?projectID=<yourQueue'sProjectID>

For the other bit, we were finding that a low-budget way to do this queue-in-project-with-changes thing is to have your queue in a template and then apply the template everywhere. Cons include:

• replacing queue topics does mean you need to delete what's already there before you reapply the template.
  • If you're reporting on queue topic names, then deleting what's already there will mess up your reports (so extra workaround needed here, e.g. calculated field)
  • There's no way to bulk edit so we eventually moved to having fusion update everything rather than doing this one project at a time.

Level 10

Wait, are you saying that I could have a Template Called "Marketing Queues" and then apply that template to a Project that already has been created from a template? Or are you saying to build the Queue into each Template so when a project is created the Queue comes along (that part I did but now when a Queue changes I have to update 25 templates which is also part of the problem).

I think I like the Dashboard idea best. I'll play around with it.

We don't report on Queues Topics, so not a problem. Though... it might be an interesting way for people to see their work, I have to think on that.

Community Advisor

Either would be fine. If you build a queue into each template, then you do have to update 25 templates. If you only had the one template, you can apply multiple templates to a project and it will just add whatever new things were in the last template.

If you do report on queue topics, understand that names matter, so "Web Request" will get reported differently than "web request" and "Web request". If you report on templates applied to a project, understand that only the first template applied to each project is ever reported. The others won't register on a report.

Level 10

Thank you Skye, those are all really good things to look out for. I am certain that I spelled things differently in my rush to add Queues to a million projects once we decided we liked to have this feature.

Level 10

Hi @Skye Hansen‚

Is it possible to submit request from a user without adding them in Workfront? In the same domain.

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 10

Hi Skye - I'm testing out adding the Request Queue via a Dashboard pinned to the tabs in a project but it seems that way you don't get to see a list of the requests submitted from that project there, it just redirects to the primary Request Queue. Is that right? Want to make sure I'm not missing something crucial here.

If that's true then the Dashboard solution won't work. What we like about using the Request tab is that you can tie a request to a project and keep it in the list within the project, similar to how documents live in their own tab. On complex projects with lots of people contributing via requests, it really works nicely. I have done the "attach" template thing and it's going well, but I'm a little worried that it maybe is changing access settngs since the template has its own access lists. We'll see... that could be the downside to this process but I guess I'll hear about it soon enough.

Also unfortunately you can't seem to attach a template to a template so I have to now update every single existing template to add the request queue stuff one at a time.

Community Advisor

sorry, I must have misunderstood something you said, but can't imagine why you would put a dashboard inside the project. The dashboard solution is really more of an "outside the project" idea.

And yes... you can't attach a template to a template, unfortunately.

Level 5

Hi Jill - regarding how to see the list of the requests submitted from the project, in our setup the requests are actually project issue records, so can be accessed in the project's "Issues" tab in the left panel (unless yours is renamed to something else?) Let me know if you want to hop on a call and I can show you our setup.