Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is there a way to copy specific fields\\sections from one custom report to new custom report?

Level 2

I recently had to create a copy of a custom report and then only keep specific fields on the copy. There are 499 fields in the report and I only needed to keep 75 of them. In order for me to do this I have to make a copy of the report and then delete all the fields I don't need one by one (over four hundred). The other solution is to add the fields manually. I would just like to drag and drop each field I need from one report to the new one.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Up until you posted I wasn't even aware that it was possible to have 499 fields in a report. I'm a little in awe of what this must look like.

There's probably not an easy way to do this, unless one of the AtAppStore apps works for this purpose. (You can ask Doug Den Hoed about this)

Your only other option would be to download the report as a kickstart, amend the view file, which is entirely in textmode, and then reupload.

Fair warning:

0) this is a skill that is probably only worth learning if you're planning to do it often, otherwise I would just find an intern and have them do it.

1) the columns will all need to be renumbered as you take out surrounding columns. Some sort of source code editor is probably better for this than just plain Notepad.

2) the kickstart XLS file will probably come over with several extra tabs you don't need. and should delete. If you just keep the report tab and adjust it to indicate that you're kickstarting a new report into the system you should be fine -- however, I would still kickstart it into your sandbox environment to start with.

Good luck! This is so fascinating.

Level 10

Thanks for the tag, @Skye Hansen‚ .

@Quincy Vazquez‚ I invite you to try our Excel Updater Generator solution which lets you choose an object type, select a category, then run it to generate an Excel file with a PROJECTS/TASKS/ISSUES/etc tab containing columns for all core and custom parameters for the category that matches, and a text file with the accompanying view definition.

Copy the contents of the latter, edit it as desired (e.g. removing all but the ID, name, and custom data definitions), and then copy and paste the results into a new Workfront view to efficiently see all the desired column rather than having to drag and drop them through the Workfront view builder.

In short: you can add 499 columns to a report in a matter of minutes.

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

thank YOU, Doug! It feels like the Excel Updater solution is often the answer to all the questions and I should have guessed it would be the answer here as well :)

In the meantime I also accidentally taught myself how to export a report (and by extension: filters, views, and groupings). Presumably templates are just as easy.

For a few minutes last night it opened up a whole new world of possibility ‚Äî customers sharing these items with each other in this way (downloading and uploading kickstarts). Then I wondered: would people actually do this? Why/why not? (I decided I probably wouldn’t except for specific occasions or if I was moving to a new instance)