Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Is anyone here experienced with "Export MS-Project" feature in workfront

Level 4
Here at Fujifilm our USA company uses Workfront for all IT projects. Our parent company in Japan, however, uses MS-Project. There is an ongoing USA project they are very interested in and have requested we send them the updated project plans in MS-Project format. Our Parent company stakeholders do not want Excel, they do not want a PDF or the project plan. Our problem - When using the Export MS-Project feature, any Workfront sub-task that is greater than 0% complete or less that 100% complete gets converted to 100% in MS-Project. The MS-Project file that is created will not allow us to overtype the correct percent in to the subtask. (does this indicate I have a setting wrong in MS-Project?) When we use the MS-Project Manual setting for percent then that changes other data in the task like dates and duration. There are over 100 tasks to check so this would too much additional work. Am I using MS-Project incorrectly?….My PM and me are not that expert with that application. Workfront tier 1 support says that conversion data from Workfront is being converted correctly so they say they can't do anything. They suggested the problem belongs with MS-Project. I suspect there may be some other issue or workaround in how the project plan is set up in Workfront that I can change to make a conversion to MS-Project with minimal changes to the output. Any ideas? Chris Mueller HLUS: Holdings
6 Replies

Level 10
Unfortunately, my company removed MS Project from everyone's computers. I did do the XML export and took a look and in the XML I see percent completes that are greater than 0 but less than 100 10 Something you might want to check is the duration type you are using. If you have calculated work in Workfront and calculated assignment in MS Project that might mess things up. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Yeah, like Anthony, I no longer have MS Project on my machine to be able to test out my theory. But I suspect you're correct in that there is a setting in MS Project causing your issue. It's been about 4 years since I've used Project but I remember a setting that would calculate your % Complete based on your planned hours versus actual (and remaining hours). In fact, I wish WF would adopt this setting and a remaining hours field �� . But if that's set, I can see it not allowing you to manually overwrite it. Just a shot.

Level 7
Hey Chris, Anthony and Vic are spot on. The issue is that our duration types don't match what MS Project has, so MS Project is either an all or nothing for defaults. You should be able to check your project preferences in MSP and change the duration types until you find one that works. Sorry I can't provide more help, as Anthony and Vic said, I don't have MS Project access either! Good luck! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 4
Vic, Thank you for this suggestion. I am going to experiment in our sandbox to see if adjusting these settings work. Presently our Workfront production global project setting is to create % complete based on duration and not Act vs. Planned hours for tasks. I'll let you know how this works out.
Chris Mueller PMO Manager Information Technology FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation office: 914-789-8853 mobile: 678-595-4704 NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, sensitive and/or privileged information, or information otherwise prohibited from dissemination or disclosure by law or regulation, including applicable export regulations. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, dissemination or distribution of this message or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately by reply email and destroy this message, including all attachments, and any copies thereof.

Level 1
Yes, I use the MS Project import function - what do you need help with? Rudy Ramos Mouser Electronics

Level 4
Yes, this worked just fine. I used the project in the Sandbox to change the WF global setting from Duration to planned hours. Then I had to be sure the project had correct planned hours versus actual hours for the tasks that are not 100% completed. We did the export to MS-Project and it came our correctly. Thanks to the both of you for your help. Chris Mueller HLUS: Holdings