Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

I was wondering how I can make a field mandatory based on the text within a different field

Level 1

3 Replies

Level 9

Hey @Cheryl Wen‚ - we don't have logic-based selection in Workfront - sure would make it easier! What you can do is take advantage of the display/skip logic.

So, if Question A is answered Blue, then Question A1 would then display as something the user would be required to complete. Likewise, if Question A was answered Red, the user would 'skip' to Question B.

Level 10

We use Christina's trick quite a bit. You can even make the answer to any "hidden" fields mandatory; they will only be mandatory when displaying to the user. For example:

QUESTION 1 choices:

• Blue

• Green

Question 1A is currently hidden, but is also mandatory, but only if displayed when Question 1's answer is "Blue." If the answer is "Green" then Question 1A will not display, and since it isn't showing, it being marked mandatory is ignored by WF.

Very handy.

Level 10

One caveat, API calls ignore display logic. So if you're planning on any kind of integration, be aware of that. This also includes required field status.