Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to use Calculated Field to show manager

Level 2

I need to build a report showing the Manager of the person assigned to a task. I was trying to use a calculated field, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

No, using a calculated column you wouldn't be able to group by this in a matrix view.

The best way to achieve this would be to have a custom form attached to your users profiles. Within that form you could have a calculated field that pulls in their managers name {manager}.{name}. This field would then be available to reference in your reports as a column or a grouping.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

The below should do it:

displayname=Assignee's Manager

linkedname=assignedTo

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo

namekeyargkey.1=manager

namekeyargkey.2=name

querysort=assignedTo:manager:name

textmode=true

valuefield=assignedTo:manager:name

valueformat=HTML

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

I have a hierarchical one that shows a managers mangers managers…

CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager Hierarchy),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager Hierarchy," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager ID),Name,CONCAT(Manager.Name," - ",Name)))

Level 2

Thank you Rich! This will definitely work for a column in the report. Can I also group by this column? My current report is grouped using a matrix grouping so I need this to be one of the groups.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

No, using a calculated column you wouldn't be able to group by this in a matrix view.

The best way to achieve this would be to have a custom form attached to your users profiles. Within that form you could have a calculated field that pulls in their managers name {manager}.{name}. This field would then be available to reference in your reports as a column or a grouping.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 2

That is perfect! We already have a custom form attached to our profiles for the department name and it works great. I really do appreciate the help!

Level 2

I meant to say that I added the Manager Name custom field and it works great! Thanks again!