Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

How to use Calculated Field to show manager

Level 2

I need to build a report showing the Manager of the person assigned to a task. I was trying to use a calculated field, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

No, using a calculated column you wouldn't be able to group by this in a matrix view.

The best way to achieve this would be to have a custom form attached to your users profiles. Within that form you could have a calculated field that pulls in their managers name {manager}.{name}. This field would then be available to reference in your reports as a column or a grouping.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

The below should do it:

displayname=Assignee's Manager

linkedname=assignedTo

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo

namekeyargkey.1=manager

namekeyargkey.2=name

querysort=assignedTo:manager:name

textmode=true

valuefield=assignedTo:manager:name

valueformat=HTML

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

I have a hierarchical one that shows a managers mangers managers…

CONCAT(IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager Hierarchy),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager Hierarchy," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager.Manager ID),"",CONCAT(Manager.Manager.Name," - ")),IF(ISBLANK(Manager ID),Name,CONCAT(Manager.Name," - ",Name)))

Level 2

Thank you Rich! This will definitely work for a column in the report. Can I also group by this column? My current report is grouped using a matrix grouping so I need this to be one of the groups.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Paula,

No, using a calculated column you wouldn't be able to group by this in a matrix view.

The best way to achieve this would be to have a custom form attached to your users profiles. Within that form you could have a calculated field that pulls in their managers name {manager}.{name}. This field would then be available to reference in your reports as a column or a grouping.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 2

That is perfect! We already have a custom form attached to our profiles for the department name and it works great. I really do appreciate the help!

Level 2

I meant to say that I added the Manager Name custom field and it works great! Thanks again!