Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How do I nest a task field into a project report? Also, is there a way to use a calculation field to calculate a project and a task field together?

Level 4

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Tasks in a project report are collections (one to many) because a project can have many tasks. You can display a collection with standard collection code:

displayname=Call this whatever you like

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(object).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valuefield=name

valueformat=HTML

Edit the BOLD Underlined items to customize.

In your case, you want to display a field in a form attached to a task in a project, right?

If so, you could use the following:

displayname=Spelling field value

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(tasks).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression={DE:Spelling}

valueformat=HTML

This example displays a custom field called "Spelling" on a form attached to some of the tasks.

If it's a custom field, use "valueexpression={DE:Field Name}", like the example.

If it's a built-in field, use "valuefield=fieldName"

Is this what you needed?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Tasks in a project report are collections (one to many) because a project can have many tasks. You can display a collection with standard collection code:

displayname=Call this whatever you like

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(object).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valuefield=name

valueformat=HTML

Edit the BOLD Underlined items to customize.

In your case, you want to display a field in a form attached to a task in a project, right?

If so, you could use the following:

displayname=Spelling field value

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(tasks).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression={DE:Spelling}

valueformat=HTML

This example displays a custom field called "Spelling" on a form attached to some of the tasks.

If it's a custom field, use "valueexpression={DE:Field Name}", like the example.

If it's a built-in field, use "valuefield=fieldName"

Is this what you needed?

Level 4

Thanks Randy, this is exactly what I was looking for. I do have a follow up question though. How would I bring in a customized project field into a calculated task field? Like If I'm referencing the custom project level field in a task level calculated field?

Level 10

Fortunately, the calculated fields use the same syntax as the reporting modules now. Since a task is owned by a project and you're on a task level form, you would use "{project}.{DE:projectField}".

If you just type in a field name, it assumes its a task field since you're on the task level. To go up one level to the parent, you would list the parent in the first set of curly brackets, then a dot (.) and then the task field you want in the second curly brackets.

Level 4

Thanks Randy! All your responses have been very helpful. I've also tried nesting customized portfolio fields using the codes that worked for nesting tasks in a project report, but it doesn't seem to work. Outside of changing the nested object to Portfolio, is there anything else that I should be doing differently?