Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

How can I edit custom fields to be required fields?

Level 3

I have a Description text field that is used on a specific custom form that I want to edit and make a required field. I am the global admin, so I should have this right, but I am unable to find the means of doing this. Our company did work with a consultancy group to help with building out this form and streamlining some things, but that shouldn't matter. And when I look at other fields, I am unable to see a way to do much more than a basic edit of them. According to this link from last October, it should be as easy as going to Settings>Account Settings> then opening the Custom Fields tab. However, I am unable to find any settings or account settings options in my backend. In the screenshot provided, this is the extent of my options (I didn't expand the ones that could be, but Account Settings is not in any of them).

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.04.07 PM.png

Thank you for any help you can provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ah, is that specific description field the native WF description field? You unfortunately cannot make native fields like that required, only custom form fields. If this form you are in is a form associated with a request queue, you can remove the Description portion from the Queue Details setting so it won't show in the request form. Then add a 'Description' custom form field to your request form and make it required. So basically you're just creating your own field for this and not using the native WF field.

MadalynD_0-1675804775169.png

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi there, you just need to locate the custom form that the field you want to be required is in, and edit it from the form level. If the field is used in more than 1 form, you'll need to do this for any form you want that field required in. There is a little checkbox under 'Additional Settings' to make it required when you're in the field specifics within the custom form.

MadalynD_0-1675797964802.png

If this is what you're looking for, please mark this response correct to help others : )

Level 3

So, that's what I assumed would happen, but when I click on the Requestor Details section, this description field isn't editable. So, I'm kind of at a loss as to how I am supposed to make this required when it's not possible here.Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.57.03 PM.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Ah, is that specific description field the native WF description field? You unfortunately cannot make native fields like that required, only custom form fields. If this form you are in is a form associated with a request queue, you can remove the Description portion from the Queue Details setting so it won't show in the request form. Then add a 'Description' custom form field to your request form and make it required. So basically you're just creating your own field for this and not using the native WF field.

MadalynD_0-1675804775169.png

Community Advisor

Hi,

The "Requester Details" field shown in your screenshot is a section break. This is not a type of field that an end user would fill in so there is no option to make it a required field. Section breaks are used to provide structure to your form, by grouping collections of fields together into sections with a heading and a description that can explain to users what that section of the form is for (see here for further info). 

Only fields that can be filled in by an end user can be set as required fields. This article goes into more detail about all of the different field types available. 

Best Regards,

Rich. 

Best Regards,

Rich

Level 3

Is the Requestor Details section break something that you have to have when you create a new form, or is this something that can be left out or custom created when making a new custom form?