Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Group Notes by Thread (updates/comments)

Level 4

Notes Report: Does anyone know a way to group updates/comments/notes by thread (parent note)Or show all comments as a discussion in the Notes report.
In the example below I would like to show the reply (thank you) under the parent (per Slack with ...).

image.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Thanks to Dustin on our team for figuring it out. Legend! Use the following Text Mode in grouping where X is whatever level you are grouping for:

group.X.valueformat=HTML
group.X.name=Parent Note
group.X.valuefield=parentNote:noteText

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

I think you'll find some useful information in this post https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/workfront-questions/report-on-tagged-updates/m-p/48...

(caution and cc to @jon_chen -- the responses are not formatted for code)

Administrator

Hey @skyehansen Thanks for the callout. I do not think code sample formatting was retroactively applied for our Community migration. However, we do support code sampling in the text editor. Please see the image below for reference on adding code into your posts moving forward. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 2.25.25 PM.png

Community Advisor

thanks Jon. I don't think there was any automatic formatting applied to our old posts the last time we transitioned to One either, so it's not unexpected.

However -- in the past, for the more valuable posts (such as the one I linked to), someone on the customer experience team had the ability to go in and reformat old posts to add the formatting. If I get to suggest things () -- the reason why it would be useful for Workfront to selectively format this one post and its responses is because Workfront simply doesn't have any documentation related to this type of reporting. Users are forced to crib what they can from (and learn from) posts like the one I linked to. And this one is extremely rare as you can see by searching on keywords like NTAG and sourceName. Anyway, just a thought. 

Administrator

Hey @skyehansen Thanks for the feedback. I went into the post you referenced and reformatted any code snippet I could find into a code sample. Hoping this will allow users to quickly find and copy-paste the text code most relevant to their use case. Please take a look and let me know if I missed any! 

Level 4

Thanks, that's where I got the code for the "tagged" column (as a bonus) but I did not find what I was looking for. I tried the code below but this did not group by parent note as I hoped. Did I miss something?

group.0.descriptionkey=source 
group.0.namekey=source 
group.0.valuefield=sourceName
group.0.valueformat=HTML 
textmode=true

Community Advisor

I think as the original poster mentioned, this kind of code would allow you to group by the object that the note was placed on (e.g. updates grouped by project, task, issue or document name). Melinda then mentioned maybe using a valueexpression to group using the source object and the last character or two of the thread ID (as well as ordering by date) in order to capture multiple threads on the same object.

My feeling is that if it's too hard to noodle out a valueexpression, you should just go with grouping by source object followed by grouping by thread ID (and arrange the notes in date order).

Level 4

I see. So, the threadID is not available from the drop down in the grouping section so you have to add it in text mode:

group.0.displayname=Thread
group.0.linkedname=direct
group.0.namekey=threadID
group.0.valuefield=threadID
group.0.valueformat=string
textmode=true

Found here.

Is there a way to change ID to text like with other objects? threadID to thread:name does not seem to work in this case.

Community Advisor

I highly doubt that threads are named. For example, there's no subject field available on updates, so no way to "name" a thread.

Level 9

Hey @skyehansen - I'm reading back on that original thread and it looks like it has the solution I'm looking for (to show the thread as part of the note report) but I can't seem to see how it's all put together with all the recommendations.

Do you have an example of the report you wound up with?

Community Advisor

did Matt McC's solution below work for you? (parent note?)

Correct answer by
Level 4

Thanks to Dustin on our team for figuring it out. Legend! Use the following Text Mode in grouping where X is whatever level you are grouping for:

group.X.valueformat=HTML
group.X.name=Parent Note
group.X.valuefield=parentNote:noteText