Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Fusion "Workfront into Workfront" Ideas

Level 7
Hi all, I'm extremely interested in using Fusion for "Workfront into Workfront" automations...and I'm wondering if there are some gems that some of y'all have thrown together. It feels as if it's a tool that--once you have it--you're able to find a use for it for many things. Wow, what a vague sentence. Anyhow, anyone have cool stuff to share with the rest of the class? Thanks, and have a happy weekend! -j John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
12 Replies

Level 5
Would also love to see some. I need use cases to justify Fusion to proceed with. Imre Magyar VODAFONE Group

Level 7
We are building this out right now in our instance. The first use case we have for the connection is to convert the request into a program rather than a project or task. Then, use that program to drive a master project with multiple sub-projects all tying back to the program. I am sure we will find other uses for this connection once we have it in place, but this setup is what we are starting with. Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 4
We've done tons of Workfront to Workfront integrations via the API. We got started before fusion. There is definitely a case for Workfront to Workfront integration. Eric Decker

Level 6
I've been working with quite a few clients on Workfront to Workfront integrations and the possibilities are endless! Here are some common, yet powerful, use cases. 1) Convert a request to either a project, program, or portfolio. You could extend this a LOT of ways, such as using a custom date field to set a planned completion date on a project. You can also use other custom fields for things like setting the portfolio or program that a project gets routed to upon creation. 2) Assign users based on a selection or set of selections in a request. For example you could have roles assigned in the project to generic designer, copywriter, etc, and then have the user select the design type [or whatever makes sense in your environment] (which can also be a team name). When you create the project, fusion looks at the Business Unit and assigns a team of designer, copywriter, etc. based on that, saving the manual assignment process. 3) Kick off a new request when a specific task is complete. 4) Update a selectable custom data field (dropdown, checkbox) when a new portfolio (or other object) is created. 5) Auto-number projects (or requests) upon creation, with NO GAPS in numbering (auditors love this) versus the native numbering which can have large gaps. 6) Automatically create new "operational projects" on a weekly or monthly basis. Useful for those repetitive projects that need to be set up for weekly, monthly, or quarterly events. 7) Set a task, request, or project name upon submission of request or creation of project, based on custom data elements 8) Have multiple templates added to a project based on custom data selection. Example: User requests a new campaign with 3 banners, one new web page, and coupons, with translation into Spanish and Portuguese. The system sets up the base project based on a template, then adds the other templates at the end or at specified points in the project. 9) Similar to 8, but create multiple projects from one request based on custom data selections. 10) Post a notice on a request or project, based on some event (request complete, milestone complete). This could provide more information than the standard notification of completion, such as a request for xxx is complete and here is the information in the custom form filled out by the person completing the request. Just a bit to get your started. There really is a lot that can be done Workfront to Workfront with fusion. All it takes is identification of current challenges / bottlenecks and a decent understanding of the Workfront data model and you can quickly be on your way. Marty Gawry - CapabilitySource

Level 10
We just implemented #10 (posting comments) in our API (credit to Kevin Jesik). It's been awesome. We created two jobs with it so far with more to come: Comment on tickets transferred from our Helpdesk to a Scrum Team to let the customer know it's been transferred and the new team will take it from here. The comment tags the Primary Contact & the new team. Comment on old tasks from workflows that need attention (i.e. older than 30 days without an update). It tags the Assigned Team (assigned individuals automatically get the notification as it's inherent in WF). And of course the history is logged in the task/issue itself. We're also working on building a Project Hygiene Score in the API. Search for things like Tasks with Past Due Dates, or no assignment, or missing Actuals, etc. It'll produce a score that allows us to track how well PM's are keeping their plans up to date. This is different than Project Health in that a project health can be poor due to outside factors (i.e. Vendor delays, scope creep, etc.). But Project Hygiene is entirely in the control of the PM (i.e. there's no excuse for poor hygiene in this case). You may have a cavity that you've scheduled to get treated, but you still have to brush your teeth in the meantime to prevent more. ��

Level 7
Wow...thanks Marty! This gave me a good framework to start Thinking Different(r) when it comes to possible Fusion automations. Even the smallest automation would have a ROI of thousands of dollars. Totally worth it--and a reasonable business case can easily be made. Thanks again! -j John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company

Level 5
Woaw! Thanks! That's great! Helps me a lot to convince my management too! Imre Magyar VODAFONE Group

Community Advisor
I've done #s 1, 2, and 5 that Marty described. #5 was probably the most liked by users, especially because you can sequence by custom criteria; e.g. Group A has its own 4-digit series (A-4001) and Group B has their own 4-digit series (B-2001), so neither group has gaps in their project numbering. This is a component of a larger FLO for automated project naming, where the custom reference number is used in conjunction with values from the project custom form, program, and portfolio to name the project according to a preset nomenclature. Another thing I've done is when a user request is approved, update a user profile. For example, users are autoprovisioned as requesters with limited access. If you want them to have a paid license, a request can be submitted which contains details that will be used to configure their profile (group/team membership, job role, reports to, access level, etc.) When the request is approved, Fusion can update the user profile on behalf of an admin by referencing the values in the request form. William English T-Mobile
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 5
Hi William, We are starting out on our Fusion journey.....I am excited and nervous, as I have elected to do it alone... When you implemented point 1 - did you go for full templates to convert to, or mini templated tasks that were chosen, depending on selections in the custom form? Creating a sequential numbering - this was done on the project level only? This could be a silly Q, since I haven't got Fusion in my instance yet to poke about in... Thanks a lot :) Miranda Rais

Community Advisor
Hi Miranda, We actually did not use the method to convert from Request to Project; but instead from Request to Portfolio or Request to Program and even Request to update User. But, you can attach templates to projects. Regarding sequential numbering, yes - a dedicated sequence of number for projects only. This can be enhanced by adding prefixes, where each prefix has its own sequence of project numbers (DEL-1234, AMT-1234, etc.) To do all of this, you need to keep track of the most recently used number in a Fusion table. William English T-Mobile
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 9
We use a calculated field which works as our sequencing (for collateral, anyway). It's a combination of project reference # + Line of Business + Documen reference #. We do another calculated field for project name - but you still need to copy/paste into the name to use it.

Level 2
I have been wanting to do this but I can't figure it out! Would you be willing to share how to use Fusion to add notes/updates to objects? Yvonne Miaoulis Sage