Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Enlarging a profile picture in a User report.

Level 7

Hi all,

So, we're running an "Ugly Profile Picture Contest" right now. (This will hopefully encourage more people to have pictures for their accounts.)

For all users participating, I've joined them all to a temporary team for the contest. I created a user report which I want to share with everyone so they can see people's submissions. But the user image is ridiculously small.

I was playing around with the text mode but couldn't make it enlarge. Has anyone else done something similar?

-j

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

HI John,

I'll spare you the dead ends, and instead (huzzah!) confirm that I figured out a workaround using native reporting:

• Create a Project called "Ugly Profile Picture Contest Dec 2020"
  • On the Tasks tab, create a view that shows Name and URL
  • Create a Task with the Name and Home Team of each person who's entered
  • In another tab, create a report showing each User name their ID
  • Using that other tab to look up each person's ID, in their corresponding Task row's URL field, enter "https://[domain].my.workfront.com/internal/user/avatar?ID=[userID]" (replacing [domain] and [userID]
  • Create a Task report filtered to those Tasks on the "Ugly Profile Picture Contest Dec 2020" Project that shows the Task Name (i.e. each person's Name and Home Group), along with a second column that uses the text mode below to pull in a reasonable sized image from the URL, as shown in the following screenshot

0694X00000Bzo1xQAB.png

To improve this further, you could (as I did) bake the url to each person's image into a custom data field on a common User Form, making it easy to then copy/paste into the Task URL column. The calc I used was CONCAT("https://[domain].my.workfront.com/internal/user/avatar?ID=",ID)

And if you have enough users to warrant it, you could export ALL of your users (Name, Home Group, and the calc I just mentioned) to Excel, then either via Kickstart or using our Excel Updater solution (periodically, as staff come and go, and names and home groups change slightly) push EVERYONE into a generic "All Users With Photos" project, and use some tagging (e.g. #Ugly2020 in the description) and filtering to restrict that "master report" as needed, making it quick and easy to reuse for all kinds of fun stuff.

Thanks for the challenge; that was satisfying!

Regards,

Doug

displayname=Image

image.name=Photo

image.valuefield=URL

link.linkproperty.0.name=assignedToID

link.linkproperty.0.value=ID

link.lookup=link.edit

link.page=/view

link.valuefield=objCode

link.valueformat=val

shortview=true

textmode=true

type=image

valueformat=

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Employee

Hey John,

So I checked with our support team and it looks like this isn't possible. I'm told there is a hard limit on how large those images can be so unless someone else figures out something, it doesn't seem possible to enlarge the image via text mode without breaking the report builder for the report.

This is such a fun idea though. I know that I saw a Leap presentation about someone who did stuff with pictures of hats to encourage adoption... and I hate saying this but I can't remember what session it was! If I think of it I'll let you know!

Kyna

Level 7

Rats. Oh well, I figured this was the case. I now know something that I didn't know before, so I'll log that as lessons learned. :)

I actually stole the idea for the contest from another subgroup which was onboarded this year--they started their rollout with a Star Wars profile picture contest. Considering in-person ugly sweater contests aren't possible this year, I figured this would be a suitable replacement considering the times. :)

Thanks for checking in on this though; I totally appreciate it!

-j

Level 10
Hi John, I’m following, intrigued for several reasons, and am interested in helping; but just need some spec clarification. Given you have created a User filter that returns those users playing the Ugly Profile Picture Contest, for this report you are after: Classic, NWE, or both? Where, Layout Template-Wise, will you place the report so folks will then see it? Portrait or landscape? 8.5” x 11”, or something else? How many photos per page, expressed as a Zoom-like “cell” gallery of columns x rows? Username above or below photo within cell? Any other (let’s say Built In Only) data also shown on each photo’s row (eg email, phone, Talk To Me About on, etc.) If the resolution of the profile pix are too grainy (when zoomed up), could you instruct your contestants to place a high res version of the same photo called “profile.png” in the documents folder of their own user account (which, if it exists, the report would default to first)? Regards, Doug

Level 7

Wow! Well, I'm intrigued that you're intrigued, so let me give you the deets. :D

• NWE (I got everyone in a few months ago and banished Classic away from BMS forever)
  • The Report is shared primarily in system announcements (we're not including this in layout templates or dashboards). I can see this report being used in the future for any other User Profile Pic Contests. One of our Groups does a quarterly contest.
  • The Report is very straightforward: Just picture, name, and Home Group. It would be fancy-pants to have it in a grid format--but not necessary.
  • The picture would ideally be the same size of the profile pic in the User Setup page. Anything larger would likely become pixelated and unattractive. Most people's pictures are fine as is. As far as having users upload a better version of the picture...I had a hard enough time getting people to join the contest as-is. I had some people who emailed me a funny picture and never changed their profile picture...which completely voids out the point of the contest. :D

Any help would be great--and I'd love to learn any text wizardry you have to share. You are, as I've said elsewhere, "The Man."

-j

Level 10

My pleasure John,

I have a couple of angles I'm going to try bank-shotting to make this one (text mode first, complimentary AtAppStore Package second). Your spec deets all sound Highly Reasonable, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "The Report is shared primarily in system announcements" -- would it be possible to elaborate and/or add a screen shot?

Regards,

Doug

Level 7

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant by "Announcement" is that I've been driving this Ugly Profile Picture Contest through using WF System Announcements for my users reminding them to participate. The Report I created is part of the announcement, inviting them to size up their competition. We utilize Announcement Teams in BMS along with Top-Level Groups to target messages to our users.

Level 10

Ah...gotcha John,

So (to confirm) would you then send this report we are discussing as an attachment to such WF System Announcements?

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Level 10

HI John,

I'll spare you the dead ends, and instead (huzzah!) confirm that I figured out a workaround using native reporting:

• Create a Project called "Ugly Profile Picture Contest Dec 2020"
  • On the Tasks tab, create a view that shows Name and URL
  • Create a Task with the Name and Home Team of each person who's entered
  • In another tab, create a report showing each User name their ID
  • Using that other tab to look up each person's ID, in their corresponding Task row's URL field, enter "https://[domain].my.workfront.com/internal/user/avatar?ID=[userID]" (replacing [domain] and [userID]
  • Create a Task report filtered to those Tasks on the "Ugly Profile Picture Contest Dec 2020" Project that shows the Task Name (i.e. each person's Name and Home Group), along with a second column that uses the text mode below to pull in a reasonable sized image from the URL, as shown in the following screenshot

0694X00000Bzo1xQAB.png

To improve this further, you could (as I did) bake the url to each person's image into a custom data field on a common User Form, making it easy to then copy/paste into the Task URL column. The calc I used was CONCAT("https://[domain].my.workfront.com/internal/user/avatar?ID=",ID)

And if you have enough users to warrant it, you could export ALL of your users (Name, Home Group, and the calc I just mentioned) to Excel, then either via Kickstart or using our Excel Updater solution (periodically, as staff come and go, and names and home groups change slightly) push EVERYONE into a generic "All Users With Photos" project, and use some tagging (e.g. #Ugly2020 in the description) and filtering to restrict that "master report" as needed, making it quick and easy to reuse for all kinds of fun stuff.

Thanks for the challenge; that was satisfying!

Regards,

Doug

displayname=Image

image.name=Photo

image.valuefield=URL

link.lookup=link.edit

link.page=/view

link.valuefield=objCode

link.valueformat=val

shortview=true

textmode=true

type=image

valueformat=

Saving this for later. Great way to add a little fun to the system. 

Level 7

OMG That did the trick!

0694X00000BzoODQAZ.jpg

I like the idea of including the image URL as part of a custom form; I'm going to add that to our preexisting User Additional Information Custom Form.

This is awesome and your knowledge of Workfront is scary. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

-j

Level 10
Awesome John! That looks fantastic! Thank you for putting it to immediate good use. This strikes me as an excellent one for every SysAdmin to set up, both for this slick “Photo” main reason, but also because a Project with one Task per User opens up many other possibilities. More Intrigue. Less Sleep. Same ole same ole... Cheers, Doug

Level 10

Hi John,

I ran through this with @William English‚, and we came up with a couple of nuanced improvements (as below), once you have a custom calculated parameter on every user called "Profile Picture" (for example) with a formula of CONCAT("https://[domain].my.workfront.com/internal/user/avatar?ID=",ID).

Regards,

Doug

Via Task Assignment

If you stick with the Project with one Task per Person approach, if you Assign each person to "their" task, you can then use this textmode to draw their photo from the user's calc without having to copy paste it into the URL of the Task:

displayname=Image

image.name=Photo

image.valuefield=assignedTo:DE:Profile Picture

link.lookup=link.edit

link.page=/view

link.valuefield=objCode

link.valueformat=val

shortview=true

textmode=true

type=image

valueformat=

Via User Report

If you prefer to simply build a user report, you can do likewise with this textmode:

displayname=Image

image.name=Photo

image.valuefield=DE:Profile Picture

link.linkproperty.0.name=name

link.lookup=link.edit

link.page=/view

link.valuefield=objCode

link.valueformat=val

shortview=true

textmode=true

type=image