Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Embedded Request Queues within a Template

Level 4
  1. Do I need to create the request queue for every template or is there a way to "copy" the existing queue and add it to a template?
  2. Is there a way to run a report that indicates what templates have a queue embedded?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi - we just have one template that has no-tasks but all the queue setup information. (We call it Forms for Your Project). That way, if there is a change, we don't have to change all 47 templates, just the one. So the project manager converts the issue using the template that will build the tasks and then after the project is created they add the second template which configures the queue setup.

As for reporting, I don't think you can do queue topics, but you can on Routing Rules. I use that for our double check dashboards because if there is no routing rules, then there are no queue topics and they need to attach the second template.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

We had at one time considered embedding a request queue into the projects themselves, as you seem to imply.

However, we were told if you want the same one in multiple templates the best way was to copy the template once you have the queue set-up in the first template. So set it up in Template A, then copy Template A to make Template B.

The problem, and the reason we bailed on this idea really quickly, is that if you want to make a change to the queue setup, you'd have to go back and make the change for each Template separately. Our queue tree is reasonably complex. We had about 6 templates at launch and over 12 now and I'm so glad we bailed on this idea and stuck to a single master request queue.

Based on this advice, I'd only consider embedding a request queue in a template if it was super simple.

Level 4

Thank you for your response. I see that as being the issue.

I created a template with an embedded queue then copied and made several similar but different templates. Now we would like to add a second or even third queue to some but not all of those templates. As you have presented I would need to recreate a template with the queues and copy and adjust AGAIN. Like you, I don't want to do that. We have a lot of templates (85) and a lot of queues (31) and growing every day.

I'm curious why if it is going to a already established queue there isn't an opportunity to link it to a template. We would like to contain the issue/request within the projects along with all documents, updates, etc. as we are using multiple groups to "do work" but the projects and owners are outside of those groups. Some of the other depts. doing the work are working from issues only, they would not be assigned a task in the template/project.

If anyone can think of a better solution or has one in practice that fits what I am looking for I am open to your thoughts, ideas and solutions.

Much appreciated.

Dawnmarie

Level 7

I'm not sure I'm accurately visualizing what you're describing, but I definitely agree that I can see the maintenance nightmare from that complex of a scenario. I'll describe our version, I think something in there might work for you. We're at about 50 templates and 30+ queues ourselves.

I have roughly 30 projects that are what we call 'Request Forms'. They're designated as queues, have custom forms attached etc for sales-facing requests. One sample is a 'new account manager' request - for when Sales needs to tell the business they landed a new account and get someone assigned to support it. They go to the main Request tab, complete the form and the person assigned by the routing rules gets the alert. That's the simple use-case, the manager gets assigned and the Issue is closed.

In a more complex scenario, another form allows Sales to request a certain type of data from our database as part of a sales pitch. Again, to the Request tab, fill out the form, request routes to the right team. Here we change process, the incoming issue is converted to a full Project which brings along any documents and information Sales have submitted and it becomes part of the project plus allowing the project to have the appropriate project template attached during creation.

You would also have options to convert to a Task or move the Issue from the request queue to a project as needed, we do those in some scenarios as well.

Happy to provide more details if any of this sounds helpful.

Level 4

Thank you! We have a similar system for incoming requests. The assigned team gets the issues/requests and we have them go to a landing project to work from. Our situation is we have multiple groups that create projects that may use a request queue for one element of the project and to keep all documents and requests together we are using embedded queues. For now we are going to make a lot of work for ourselves by adding the queues to the templates and backtracking if something changes (yes - that will be a nightmare). We are currently implementing new to Workfront teams and want to make the experience as "easy" as possible.

Thank you again for your input.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi - we just have one template that has no-tasks but all the queue setup information. (We call it Forms for Your Project). That way, if there is a change, we don't have to change all 47 templates, just the one. So the project manager converts the issue using the template that will build the tasks and then after the project is created they add the second template which configures the queue setup.

As for reporting, I don't think you can do queue topics, but you can on Routing Rules. I use that for our double check dashboards because if there is no routing rules, then there are no queue topics and they need to attach the second template.

Level 4

Thank you for your response. Great info. I will give that a try and see if I can't make it work for us.

Great idea for the report - I love me a work around.

Thank you again.