Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Does workfront "Documents" section allow you to do "real-time" updates similar to Sharepoint? Currently, the only thing I can do is download the document, update it, and then re-upload the document. If not, are there plans to add this feature?

Level 3

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

@Naushin Walji‚,

I am by no means an expert but I can provide details of how we use it.

In the admin section, you only have control over what cloud providers users are allowed to link to. It's a simple "on" or "off". For us, we use OneDrive for all of our documents, so we have OneDrive turned on.

The workflow looks like this,

1. From a task/issue/project/anywhere documents can be uploaded, you select "Add New --> From Microsoft OneDrive". (Screenshot 1)
  • From here, you can either search your one drive folders and files OR folders/files that have been shared with you.
    • Select the folder/file that you want to addd (its important that what ever file/folder you add from OneDrive, it is a shared document. If you add a file/attachment that is not shared (from OneDrive), others will not be able to access it in Workfront.

2. Once you select the file/folder, you will see it be added to the task/project/etc. inside Workfront. You will know when it has been added from OneDrive, because it will have a little cloud icon (screenshot 2). In this screenshot, I added a folder (during step 1), and you can see that it added all of the folders contents.

3. Users have the ability to open those files that you have added (it will open in the online version so that you can have real time edits and avoid different versions). OR, other users can add files to that folder inside Workfront and those files will automatically syn to your OneDrive folder. In Screenshot 3, I showed an example where I added a file called "TEST 1" from Workfront and you can see that it added the file to my computers OneDrive folder.

We use this is a few different ways.

1. We have email templates and excel templates that ere constantly being evolved so in our project templates, we add files to the tasks from OneDrive, that way if the original email template ever gets edited, it will always be updated on the new projects because that file is linked to the OneDrive version.
    1. We have a lot of teams that collaborate and work together so having that document linked to a task helps the teams stay in workfront and have an easy way to navigate to the shared document.
    2. We have word document that have notes and we add those to portfolios from the OneDrive, this allows our teams to easily go OOO on PTO because all of their notes are easily accessible in the portfolio.

Like I mentioned, the most important thing is that if you are adding file/folders using the OneDrive integration, you need to make sure that the file/folder is shared or other users wont be able to open the documents from Workfront. Hopefully, this answers your question but if not, happy to provide any other details/advice/things we learned from using this. :)

0690z000008a72vAAA.jpg

0690z000008a735AAA.jpg

0690z000008a73AAAQ.jpg

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 4

following, I'd love to know if there's a way to do this too as we need this functionality

Level 3

does anyone from workfront monitor this section?

Employee

Hi Brad,

I'm Kyna and I'm the community manager. I monitor all of the community! We give some time for customers to chime in, but we do keep track of everything that gets posted. I've got this jotted down, but if you are an authorized support contact you can submit this as an idea in the Idea Exchange if you don't see an idea that is already like this!

Thanks,

Kyna

Level 3

Thanks - that helps. I just realized I wasn't listed as an authorized contact and I have ticket in to fix that.

Level 5

@Brad Smith‚ - Does your company use OneDrive? I assume yes if you are using Sharepoint, but we use the OneDrive function with documents and it allows for real time editing.

Your admin will need to enable it in the setup section and once it is enabled, you can add documents from your OneDrive. Once added from the OneDrive, they show with a little cloud icon and when you open it, it opens in the online version (where you can edit in real time).

Also, if you link a OneDrive folder, and someone adds a document to that folder inside Workfront, it also adds that document to your computers OneDrive. It acts very similar to Sharepoint, you just have to make sure that you add documents or folders from the OneDrive option.

0690z000008a5FOAAY.jpg

0690z000008a5FTAAY.jpg

Level 3

Erica, thank you so much for posting. I am definately going to give it a go and report back!

Level 5

no problem! Can't wait to hear how it goes. 😀

Level 4

Hi Erica,

Would we need to create a specific OneDrive for Workfront, or can we connect a OneDrive we've created specifically for a team? Also, will this integration with OneDrive let users navigate to the OneDrive folder they desire and upload a file? I'm wondering what the industry best practices are around integrating with OneDrive

Correct answer by
Level 5

@Naushin Walji‚,

I am by no means an expert but I can provide details of how we use it.

In the admin section, you only have control over what cloud providers users are allowed to link to. It's a simple "on" or "off". For us, we use OneDrive for all of our documents, so we have OneDrive turned on.

The workflow looks like this,

1. From a task/issue/project/anywhere documents can be uploaded, you select "Add New --> From Microsoft OneDrive". (Screenshot 1)
  • From here, you can either search your one drive folders and files OR folders/files that have been shared with you.
    • Select the folder/file that you want to addd (its important that what ever file/folder you add from OneDrive, it is a shared document. If you add a file/attachment that is not shared (from OneDrive), others will not be able to access it in Workfront.

2. Once you select the file/folder, you will see it be added to the task/project/etc. inside Workfront. You will know when it has been added from OneDrive, because it will have a little cloud icon (screenshot 2). In this screenshot, I added a folder (during step 1), and you can see that it added all of the folders contents.

3. Users have the ability to open those files that you have added (it will open in the online version so that you can have real time edits and avoid different versions). OR, other users can add files to that folder inside Workfront and those files will automatically syn to your OneDrive folder. In Screenshot 3, I showed an example where I added a file called "TEST 1" from Workfront and you can see that it added the file to my computers OneDrive folder.

We use this is a few different ways.

1. We have email templates and excel templates that ere constantly being evolved so in our project templates, we add files to the tasks from OneDrive, that way if the original email template ever gets edited, it will always be updated on the new projects because that file is linked to the OneDrive version.
    1. We have a lot of teams that collaborate and work together so having that document linked to a task helps the teams stay in workfront and have an easy way to navigate to the shared document.
    2. We have word document that have notes and we add those to portfolios from the OneDrive, this allows our teams to easily go OOO on PTO because all of their notes are easily accessible in the portfolio.

Like I mentioned, the most important thing is that if you are adding file/folders using the OneDrive integration, you need to make sure that the file/folder is shared or other users wont be able to open the documents from Workfront. Hopefully, this answers your question but if not, happy to provide any other details/advice/things we learned from using this. :)

0690z000008a72vAAA.jpg

0690z000008a735AAA.jpg

0690z000008a73AAAQ.jpg

Level 3

Erica - If I could hand out Gold Stars for your fanstatic responses I would! :)

Level 4

Thank you so much for the very detailed response, Erica! I'm so excited to test this out so that we can solve some workflow issues around copy edit!

Level 5

anytime! I have my fingers crossed for you 😁 feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.