Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Does someone have report custom column code that shows what's the FIRST task Planned Completion Date and the Task Name ie only looking at tasks that are less than 100% complete in each project? I want 1 Task Name and the due date per project.

Level 10

Hoping to be able to get Columns like this:

Project Name: Jill's Project

Next Item Due: "Send the Email to Prospects"

Next Thing Due Date: 6/5/20

Thanks!

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Jill,

Assuming you're trying to do this from within a Project report, although you can use a IF statement to detect a particular Task (e.g. by name, etc.) within a Task "iterate" column, it is not possible to aggregate (e.g. MIN, in this case), nor sort.

There's some more background here, in case it gives you an idea that you could use instead.

Regards,

Doug

Ok thanks. Let me ask this another way. If you wanted to know what’s the next task due on all your projects (even if the due date has past but the task is still not completed) and what date is it due, how would you show that?

Level 10

Hi Jill,

Well, I would cheat and use our Hot Sheet solution <grin>.

But if I had to stick to a Workfront report, I would:

• create a Task Report
  • set the view to Project name, Planned Completion Date (with "min" as a aggregate), Task name
  • sort the view by Project name (ascending), then the Planned Completion Date
  • filter for only Tasks whose Actual Completion Date is blank
  • optionally, also filter for only Tasks whose Planned Completion Date is within some reasonable time frame of interest (e.g. less than $$TODAY+4d)
  • group by Project (noting that the min Planned Completion Date would "float" up to the grouping
  • set the report to open in "collapsed" mode (if that option is available)
  • train users to expand any project of interest, and note that the first Task is the Next Task (along with any others within the time frame of interest)
  • optionally, I'd add a prompt to the report on Project name and Planned Completion date (instead of restricting the Filter to $$TODAY+4d) so folks can go find what they need, for when they need
  • optionally, add the report to a Dashboard, then add that Dashboard as a custom tab at the Project level (via Layout Templates) so that anyone who quickly wants to see the Next Task(s) for the Project they are looking at can simply do so by clicking that Tab

@Anthony Imgrund‚ can you suggest any other improvements that I might be forgetting in order forJill to get even closer to what Hot Sheet provides?

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

I did the report the way you suggested -- the thing I've never used is "Minimum" so that was a good one for me. And the good news is that at the roll-up of the Project grouping it shows the planned due date of the next task due, so it actually does what I need it to!! Thanks!

Fabulous Jill, My pleasure; I’m pleased that got you what you need. Regards, Doug

Level 10

As long as your project doesn't have parallel paths, you can do a Can Start filter on your task collection. Actual Date is blank (it isn't complete) and Can Start is True (or Yes haven't tried it out yet), you should get just one task as the return value.