Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Document Pending Approval Report by User and Direct Reports

Level 8
We have been asked to create a Document Approval report showing all pending approvals by a user and their direct reports. We already have the report by the user, but I'm struggling with how to include their direct reports. Anyone have an idea or suggestion on what criteria/filter I need to use? Thanks!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Level 10
The filter list depends on whether you are checking the user's pending approval as approver or requestor. If I wanted to see both, I would have this as sets. Requestor>> ID eq Jane Sample and Document Approval >> Status eq pending or Approver>> ID eq Jane Sample and Document Approval >> Status eq pending or Requestor >> Manager ID eq Jane Sample and Document Approval >> Status eq Pending or Approver >> Manager ID eq Jane Sample and Document Approval >> Status eq Pending

Level 8
This is perfect! Thank you so much. :) I'm finding that we have a lot of pending approvals that are on closed projects (don't ask). So I'm trying to add project status criteria. Since my report is a document approval report, adding the project status is not an option using the quick filters. I've gone into text mode and tried adding it that way, but I keep getting parameter errors. Here's my text mode as it status: OR:1:approver:managerID=$$USER.ID OR:1:approver:managerID_Mod=in OR:1:document:project:status=DED OR:1:document:project:status_Mod=notin OR:1:status=NEW OR:1:status_Mod=in approverID=$$USER.ID approverID_Mod=in document:project:status=DED document:project:status_Mod=notin status=NEW status_Mod=in In standard mode my filters are: Document Approval > Approver ID equals $$USER.ID Document Approval > Status equals Pending OR Document Approval > Manager ID equals $$USER.ID Document Approval > Status equals Pending Any ideas? I really appreciate any help.

Level 10
Based on the API explorer, I don't think there's a way to tie the project status with a document approval report. Maybe somebody else in the community can chime in?

Level 10
I have a *document* report (not a document approvals report) that lists documents with approvers, where you can have project status as a filter or a column (in a view). Looking at my filters, they are in text mode, and among other things, I am filtering on: approvals:status=NEW approvals:status_Mod=in project:status=CUR PLN project:status_Mod=in Hope this helps! -skye

Level 10
PS: forgot to mention the "Approvers" column in my report. Here's the textmode behind it: displayname=Approvers listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(approvals).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({approver}.{name}," - ",{status}) valueformat=HTML

Level 10
I have to revise my response to this thread as a coworker asked me for help on the same type of report. Logicially, it should be possible to do document:project:status=CUR document:project:status_Mod=in However, it does not work and I have not seen others where the filter is to the third level parameter. However, I've come across a thread that uses a document custom form to do the filtering. It might just work for you. We will not be going this route due to process of adding the custom form per document. "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=c7c8d863-5270-4144-b9d6-a4fffbf33936&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bmc7c8d863-5270-4144-b9d6-a4fffbf33936#bm3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=c7c8d8... Polly Co

Community Advisor
@Polly Co & @Wendy White were either of you able to figure out how to do a Document Approval report that filters on project status? Or do you have another report that's giving you what you need? @Skye Hansen , in your report, are you able to show when the approval request was made? A big thing we want to illustrate is how long it's taking to get approvals. Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
Yes, a doc approval report will show the request date. And for Polly's problem with having to hop three times in order to filter on the project status, this should be possible using Exists statements; I just haven't had the time to figure out the syntax. But if you book time with one of the remote consultants who gave the Leap session on it, I would think they would get you sorted out in short order. -skye

Level 10
@Monique Evans , here's the textmode to filter on document approvals by projects that are CUR. EXISTS:1:$$OBJCODE=DOCU EXISTS:1:ID=FIELD:documentID EXISTS:1:project:status=CUR Regards. Polly Co

Community Advisor
Thank you both so much!! I was thinking about an exists filter but couldn't find something from the small list of doc approval options that would connect to the project. Completely forgot I could connect to the document table via ID and point to project from there. You saved me days of tinkering!! Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 5
So happy to have found this post as it helped me greatly today! I tried several versions with EXISTS:1:project:statusequateswith to reduce the status codes, but the report kept failing. Between @Polly Co 's textmode and pulling from other reports, I was able to modify the original to the following allowing for more specific filtering of document approvals based on our organization. EXISTS:1:$$OBJCODE=DOCU EXISTS:1:ID=FIELD:documentID EXISTS:1:project:status=APR CUR MNM PLN WOI UAT SCP IDA REQ REJ Thanks so much! Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation