Expand my Community achievements bar.

Difference between assigning Projects and Tasks

Level 2
Hi Workfront Friends! So my team just launched last week and things are going well! As you may know - we are finding some kinks I would like to even out soon. So the way we have things processed is someone submits an issue (custom request form) and our traffic team assigns it to the appropriate PM. Once the PM owns the issue they then turn it into a project that we have customized templates for based on the needs of the project. If the issue is not relevant to the pre-existing templates (not large enough to be a project with multiple tasks) - can we convert this issue into something smaller? We just need accountability to make sure that someone is owning the issue and working on it. Thanks ahead of time! Jill Jillian McGovern Project Manager NYU Langone Health New York, New York E: jillian.mcgovern@nyumc.org P: 646.754.7358
2 Replies

Level 3
Hi Jillian, We have a similar set-up. You can either leave it as an issue and assign an individual to work it or convert it to a task so that you can add sub-tasks. To do this, when you are on the issue in the right corner click on Issue Actions and select convert to a task. Hope this helps! Jennifer St. George SAIF Corporation

Level 10
We started off converting those small issues to tasks but wound up scrapping the idea because the tasks go into another tab and we couldn't find a good way to "see" them along with the issues and projects, and the tasks wound up getting lost. We wound up turning on the function that deletes an issue when the project is created, and then leaving the smaller things as issues, and so there's just two places you have to look to see everything that is active – projects and issues. That said, there is probably a report you can make and look at that so you can see all the projects, tasks and issues in one place, but I haven't gotten there yet.