Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Dealing with large page count Projects

Level 1
Hi everyone, We are still in our initial setup stages for Workfront but as I start to consider dealing with different projects I am particularly interested in anyones advice for handling Projects with large page counts. We have Catlogues to track that can range upwards of 900 pages and creating 1 project for the entire Catalogue seems to defeat the purpose of Workfront tracking and reporting but the thought of having say 450 projects to cover each spread in the book also sounds daunting to manage. As with most projects the pages in the book come in randomly so tracking individual spreads seems the only way but I am open to advice. Has anyone experienced a similar project and found the easiest/most efficient way to manage through Workfront? Thank you, ROBERT BRITT MANAGER, DESIGN STUDIO St. Joseph Communications, Content Group
15 Benton Road, Toronto, Ontario, M6M 3G2 T: 416.248.5500 ext.2460 | C: 416-898-5746 | E. "mailto:robert.britt@stjoseph.com" robert.britt@stjoseph.com Linkedin: "https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-britt-a8a78711" style="font-size: 12.8px; color: #1155cc;" https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-britt-a8a78711
4 Replies

Level 2
Hi, Rob - I'm not sure if you're referring to the number of tasks involved in producing large page count projects, or the proof approval process, but in any case, for the tasks, you could create "buckets" of tasks for each section of the catalogue to help break it down. for example, you could have a parent task such as "Introduction pages" and within that, all the necessary tasks required to produce. the only caution there is that if you have tasks with identical names (ex. "Create first proof") for each section, whoever is assigned to those won't be able to differentiate which one is due on which date. they would have a bunch of tasks of the identical name but with potentially different due dates. i suggest you name according to the section ("Create Introduction pages first proof", "Create Section 1 first proof", "Create Section 2 first proof", etc.) i'm told there is no limit to the number of pages you can upload in a proof, but you could treat the pages in a similar way so that you upload sections of pages for the proofs. i would discourage you from opening separate projects for sections/spreads as that will likely cause confusion and lack of overall project visibility, expenses, etc. i hope this helps. Tracy Brunet Costco Wholesale Canada

Level 1
Hi Tracy, Thank you for your input. Breaking the book down into sections sounds like a great idea in making the project more manageble but just so I'm clear... you're suggesting creating a parent task for pages 20-40 for example and then within that parent you have 10 sub-parent tasks each for the management of a spread independantly? We could build into each sub-parent the tasks to handle the number of expected proofing rounds which still allows each spread to be managed independantly for building, corrections and proofing. Currently in ProofHQ we mange spreads independantly and not as a whole book as this is the clients preference. A ittle knowledge in my case may be dangerous as I may have taken your idea and gone in a completely different and wrong direction but this does make sense to me. At least it gives me some great ideas in starting with sections. Thank you again for your advice, Rob Rob Britt St Joseph Content

Level 2
hi, Rob - yes, you've got the right idea. in the sample screen grab below is a project i have put in buckets by monthly email. each month we send out a specific email and rather than opening up a separate project each month, i have one for the year, broken up into monthly "bucketed" tasks. the highlighted one is the parent for the tasks you see below it. Tracy Brunet Costco Wholesale Canada

Level 10
Hi Keep in mind that the tasks in Workfront and the stages in the proof aren’t linked. We wound up eliminating most of the tasks in Workfront that relate to the proof because they aren’t integrated. It got too confusing to keep track of round 1 in Workfront and separately version 1 in PoofHQ. We ended up only having 2 tasks related to the proof, just so we could track general deadlines — 1st layout due and Final Layout due and the rest of the rounds/versions for the Proof is managed via versions and stages directly in ProofHQ. My best advice is to figure out how you managed it without Workfront and then set up your tasks and proofs to emulate how you did it before. If you distributed one spread at a time for review, then do it that way in ProofHQ too. Or break it down into chapters, or 50 page chunks that naturally go together. Your tasks in Workfront should probably be more about developing the content (or whatever tasks are needed to write and create the artwork) before the proof is ready to be reviewed for approvals, and then one task to set the date when it needs to be approved, and go to press.