Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Custom Sort Order on a Report

Community Advisor

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to create a custom sort order on a report. Right now my report is sorted by Project Status and it's showing alphabetical but I'd like it to show in a specific order. Anyone know of an option for this?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks Doug. I was able to create a workaround by adding a calculated field to capture values of 0,1,2,3..... pull them into the report and then hide the column. Works like a charm for what we need.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 2

Any user can click on the column header in a report to sort by that column's values.

For a default report sort, you need permission to edit the report and then you select the column and chose "Sort by this column"

Screen grab of the report edit view and steps (0694X00000I9vdJQAR.jpg

Community Advisor

@Brent Baker‚ - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this isn't what I'm looking for. I'm aware of standard sorting options.

I would like it to CUSTOM sort based on the values. Not just alphabetically. Right now it's sorted, by status and it shows in alphabetical order and I want other sort options besides alphabetically.

Level 2

YW. You cannot create a custom sort of a single column. What you can do is have multiple column sorting or combing grouping with sorting.

Some details on that in here https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=the-new-workfront-experience&topicId=Content%2FRe...

Community Advisor

It's definitely going to be custom if it's doable. Hoping someone knows a workaround with some advanced reporting skills.

Level 10

Hi Kellie,

I can offer a couple of alternatives:

-- As shown in One Chart to Rule them All, you could (simply) add a numeric prefix to the Status entries to force the logical order you desire

-- Similarly, as in Switchback Workflow, you could create a (more complex) calculated parameter (e.g. Sort Order) based upon whatever particular Status and/or other relevant data naturally occurs, and then use that (persisted) parameter to sort your report (or even break it into separate reports, as shown in the article)

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks Doug. I was able to create a workaround by adding a calculated field to capture values of 0,1,2,3..... pull them into the report and then hide the column. Works like a charm for what we need.

Level 3

Hi Kellie, 

Can share specifics on how you did this? That would really help a very similar need of ours. 

Thanks,

Brent

Level 2

Hi, Kellie! I'm trying to do the same thing currently (with status as well) could you share what calculated field you used?

Appreciate any insight you are willing to provide. 

Whitney