Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Custom section editable only by certain users

Level 8

I have searched documentation and the community for this answer and I feel like I'm almost there. Here's what I have:

We have a request queue with a custom form that asks requestors to propose a price for the listing they want. When the request comes in, someone looks at the proposed price (among other details) and generates an actual price. We want to document that actual price with the request. Can I do this in a custom section that is:

• Editable for only certain users?
  • Viewable to anyone?

It looks like the answer might be yes. If so, I'm missing something in my setup and could use your help.

My setup

At the end of my custom form, I added a custom section. In the Grant access settings of that custom section, I set:

• Users with this access to the object can view field values: View
  • Users with this access to the object can edit field values: Edit

My Form sharing looks like this:

Form sharing.png

There are two things going on here you should know about:

• For the individual users, Workfront won't let me promote their access to manage. When I hover over Manage I see a message saying the system admin has restricted permissions to access custom forms. Which one of my admin settings are restricting their access to custom forms? The only place I can think of that drives these permissions is in Access Levels, specifically the section called "Allow administrative access for...," which is currently unchecked for the access levels applicable to the users in question. 
  • I am able to promote the team to Manage, however, when I expand the team to show the users within, there is an alert icon that says these users also don't have permission to access custom forms. And yet, when I tested this in sandbox, these users can totally see and edit the section. Ultimately this is what I want, but it kinda looks like a bug. What do you all think?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Lyndsy,

The screen shot you've shared shows the overall form sharing permissions (i.e., who has access to attach it to objects / who has access to edit the form settings), not permissions for a certain section of the form.

What you need to do is add a Section Break field to your form that has all of the fields you want to restrict access to beneath it. You can then set what permissions are required to the object that the form is attached to in order for users to edit these fields.

Notice in my example below, I have a section break called "Admin Only". When i click on this field I am able to configure what access is needed in the left hand panel for users to be able to see and edit the fields beneath it.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 123433.png

You can read more on section breaks here

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Lyndsy,

The screen shot you've shared shows the overall form sharing permissions (i.e., who has access to attach it to objects / who has access to edit the form settings), not permissions for a certain section of the form.

What you need to do is add a Section Break field to your form that has all of the fields you want to restrict access to beneath it. You can then set what permissions are required to the object that the form is attached to in order for users to edit these fields.

Notice in my example below, I have a section break called "Admin Only". When i click on this field I am able to configure what access is needed in the left hand panel for users to be able to see and edit the fields beneath it.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 123433.png

You can read more on section breaks here

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 8

Thank you, @Richard_Le_. With your tips and a little more work to guess and check my settings, I think I finally have what I need:

1. In the custom section, I set the Grant access to View-Edit, respectively.
  2. In the queue project where these issues go, I set the Access settings to:
    1. "When someone submits a REQUEST...give them Contribute access."
    2. "When someone is assigned to an ISSUE…give them Manage access."

These settings above:

• Hide the custom section when a general user is in the process of filling out their request.
  • Display the fields to anyone with Contribute access to the issue/request. The requestor gains Contribute access after submitting the request.
  • Make the section editable to anyone who has Manage permission for the issue/request (directly or inherited).

Ultimately I was missing the step of configuring the queue project Access settings. The documentation was a little vague to me, but your wording and the visuals helped make it click for me.