Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Custom Form Weirdness

Level 1
We have a digital work request custom form for Issues and Projects. When a request is submitted the custom form is attached the the issue. We then convert the issue to a new project and select the custom form to attach it to the project. For some reason, some of our fields are not bringing over the entered info in consistently, but most of the fields are carrying the content just fine. Any ideas what could be causing this issue or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! Addy Wexelman Highlights for Children
7 Replies

Level 10
Is there a difference in the type of fields that are working versus the ones that are not working? For example, are non-working ones calculated fields or something like that? What about hidden fields? I would also verify the fields on both forms are the exact same fields (you're re-using the field). Also, when you're getting incorrect results, are the fields simply blank?

Level 1
They are all the same type fields and I did verify that the two form types are reusing the exact same fields. They show up blank consistently every time. I'm pretty stumped as to what could be causing this error. The form is pretty full at 477/500 fields but the fields that aren't working aren't even the last ones on there, they are somewhere in the middle. Addy Wexelman Highlights for Children

Level 10
This is a tough one. I can't say if this is correct, but these are the steps I personally would take to troubleshoot: Ensure they're not calculated fields (not sure if you checked that already). If they are, the problem might lie somewhere in there. I would test the theory of too many fields (in Preview). The limit is 500, I believe. I would go into Preview and remove a few fields and see if they all start populating. Then you would know you have a limit problem. Or I might even just change the two new forms in Preview and remove everything EXCEPT the problem fields and see if they work. If they work, you know it's not the fields themselves. And you probably have a limit issue. So I would then start adding fields back to see when it fails. What about permissions? Are the bad fields all in one section? Maybe if you could send a screen shot, it might give some other clues.

Level 10
Agreed, Vic: spooky one. Addy, I'd also suggest that you try manually typing in the missing values -- ideally by pasting from the original Issue if it's still around -- and saving as you go (e.g. update 1 field and save, then 5 and save, then 10 and save, etc.). Perhaps you'll run across one particular parameter (or one type of troublesome data, such as a bad character) that's the root cause. Happy to chat more then, if you do, to find a workaround. Also, given the situation... if you do have a source of the missing data still (e.g. in the Issues), if entering them by hand is too onerous, I invite you to consider using our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/excel-updater/">Excel Updater solution to load the data more efficiently (and -- erk -- even periodically, if need be) if you decide to disassemble large portions of your 477 parameter custom form, you might want to use our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/populate-category/">Update Category solution, which makes such modifications less tedious Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
the only other thing I can add to this conversation from a testing standpoint is to create a project template that already has the custom form attached to it. i.e. instead of converting issue to project and selecting custom form, convert issue to project using a specific template that already contains custom form. I've never added a custom form mid-conversion and had no idea you could even do that. -skye

Level 10
Yeah we actually do it mostly with our API and we've never had an issue like this. So Addy I'd be curious to find out what the cause was, whenever you find out.

Level 8
Another thing to check is the Logic on the forms (if you have any set up). I once had a scenario where I renamed a field, and when I did that, it broke the logic so I had to redo it. Screenshots would be great! Adina Pierce Cisco