Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Custom Form attached to Task

Level 1

Hi,

I have a custom form that is attached to a Task. Is there a way to set it up that the task can only be marked as completed when the custom form has been filled out?

Wibke

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @WibkeKu,

To my knowledge, there is no connection between custom data and the status of (in this case) the Task to which it is connected that would prevent users from closing the task without first ensuring the custom data is complete.

As a workaround, I sometimes add a calculated parameter to validate the form (e.g. IF(ISBLANK(DE:Field A),0,1) + IF(ISBLANK(DE:Field B),0,1)) so that I can then use it for row formatting (e.g. in this simple example, blue if 0, yellow if 1, green if 2) and/or filtering (e.g. show all Tasks where Actual Completion Date is not blank, but the calc is < 2) so I can then "educate" those (Last Updated By) users who are closing them without first checking.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @WibkeKu,

To my knowledge, there is no connection between custom data and the status of (in this case) the Task to which it is connected that would prevent users from closing the task without first ensuring the custom data is complete.

As a workaround, I sometimes add a calculated parameter to validate the form (e.g. IF(ISBLANK(DE:Field A),0,1) + IF(ISBLANK(DE:Field B),0,1)) so that I can then use it for row formatting (e.g. in this simple example, blue if 0, yellow if 1, green if 2) and/or filtering (e.g. show all Tasks where Actual Completion Date is not blank, but the calc is < 2) so I can then "educate" those (Last Updated By) users who are closing them without first checking.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

You could also just check if a required field in the form is filled out, and if not, mark the task as "new" or some form of "not done". Also maybe post a note to the task explaining that they need to fill out the form or the task will keep coming back to life. This won't prevent the task from being marked complete but it will mark it "not done" within a few minutes.

Community Advisor

@WibkeKu - As the others said, unfortunately this isn't possible. As a possible solution, we often use approvals so the task/issue/project will route to someone to verify the information is accurate and then once approved the object would be marked complete. This could potentially be a solution if you have someone who could be the verifier. Good Luck.