Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Custom Field for a Parent Task that sums up a custom field for its child tasks.

Level 4

Hi All, 

I'm trying to figure out a way to create a custom field that lives at the parent task level that sums up a custom field that is associated with each child task of the parent.  I've been using the SUM function but I'm not sure how to reference the child tasks in the formula.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, I feel like the best route to go isn't with a custom form, but rather pulling in logged time/actual hours into your task view in projects. Your parent tasks will automatically sum up its child tasks for you to easily see total hours logged on its child tasks. Example, the actual hours is a column and the parent automatically sums.

MadalynD_0-1673035681030.png

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, I feel like the best route to go isn't with a custom form, but rather pulling in logged time/actual hours into your task view in projects. Your parent tasks will automatically sum up its child tasks for you to easily see total hours logged on its child tasks. Example, the actual hours is a column and the parent automatically sums.

MadalynD_0-1673035681030.png

I'm definitely going to give this a shot. Hadn't thought about going that route before.  Thanks!

Community Advisor

Good luck! If you wouldn't mind, mark my answer as correct to help others when searching this topic : )