Expand my Community achievements bar.

Cross Project Predecessors should update successor task on change

Level 10
I'm not finding cross project predecessors to be that useful for my team, and I'm hoping that someone uses them here and can comment on the specific situation below. A task has a [recently completed] cross project predecessor (a predecessor task in another project), and is not "ready to start" in the My Work area until the overnight calculation has taken place or until the project timeline is manually recalculated. My users are a little agitated because those who use the My Work area would like to see their work update immediately rather than the next day. (Workers who use dashboards or rely on emails are of course unaffected, because those two types of notifications are instantaneous) Is this a case of us not being able to have our cake and eat it too? Workfront support indicates that apparently it's normal to have to manually recalculate a timeline but since we complete over 2000 projects a year, and PMs cannot always track when someone has finished a task in order to recalculate a project timeline, it seems a little ridiculous to expect it (although, not anymore ridiculous than expecting to instantly start work the moment a predecessor task is complete, I guess... )
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, Tasks on a project are only recalculated overnight or when that project has changed. So like you've mentioned, this is an issue with cross-project predecessors because the successors don't update until their actual project is updated (or in the overnight update). Now my users don't wait until requests are in in Ready To Start to accept so this isn't going to help your situation. (Highly recommend the Idea Exchange and we all go in and up vote it for you). For us, it is about reporting. It is now the process to bulk select all the projects in that portfolio and recalculate the timeline (checkbox under Settings) before they run any reports for that portfolio. That way all successors are updated with any changes before running reports.

Level 10
OK, this is up on the idea exchange as "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005863747-Cross-Project-Predecessors-should-update-successor-task-on-change">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005863747-Cross-Project-Predecessors-shoul... -- please vote early and often! Thanks Anthony!

Level 10
Hi Skye and Anthony. While you're collecting upvotes, I invite you to consider our Recalc Helper and Force Recalc Timeline solutions. Regards, Doug