Expand my Community achievements bar.

Copying Projects without pulling documents

Level 2
Hi, We do lots of ads. Often we need to add another insertion in a magazine to Workfront. Since the projects have already been created, and the custom form already has all the specs, I'd like to be able to copy the project and change the insertion date. I'd like to include assignments and specifications but including the old documents creates confusion. Does anybody have wisdom on how I can copy a project without including the documents? Thanks appreciate any and all wisdom. Hilary Hilary Markoe KVH Marketing
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

16 Replies

Level 10
Wouldn't making the original project a template which gives you the option to clear the documents work for you? It can retain assignments so that all you would need to do is to create a new project from the template. Polly Co

Level 4
I agree more with the template. However you can do what you want. Create a project with out a template. Then go to the job you wish to copy and click all the task you want. Click the more drop down and copy them to the newly created job. At this point you can do next steps to retain documents, assignments and other stuff. Try that to see if it is what you want over all. Samantha Samantha Williams GameStop Corp.

Level 2
Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. We put tons of information into our custom forms (market, market sector, products, etc. etc.) so using a template would not save time.... When I copy a project, Workfront asks if I want to retain assignments and/or retain progress. What I'd like is for Workfront to also ask if I want to "keep documents" then I could just copy a project, not drag the old documents into the project -- which would save tons of time. Thanks, Hilary Hilary Markoe KVH Marketing

Level 10
Yeah that would be ideal. As a workaround, you can Save the Project as a Template (and then you'll have the option to Exclude the documents). Then create your new project from that Template. Then you can delete the Template if you only need a onetime copy. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Sorry, I just noticed someone already proposed the same workaround. Gotta start reading my emails in the proper sequence. �� Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 2
Hi Hilary, I am the product manager at Workfront responsible for project management. I am glad to let you know that very soon "Clear Documents" functionality will be available right from the Project Copy screen. It is planned to go to Beta Preview with the 2017.3 release. You can see more details in the following help article on that and other enhancements we are planning to release for the project copy View this on Workfront > Please note that due to the release delay, the functionality is not yet in preview but it will be there very soon. Anna Asatryan Product Manager, Workfront

Level 10
While I can see that it is another step to delete the documents from the new project, there's ways to make the delete quicker. I'm not sure how you would usually delete the documents in your folder but you can multi-select (shift select) all documents and folders from the top level project folder and then just delete. The only other option I could think of would require a programmer and the use of Workfront API. Have the programmer create a form outside of Workfront so that you can enter the project name, then the program creates a copy of the project and strips documents from the project automatically all via API. Polly Co

Level 10
I just saw the product manager post that the option to clear documents will be coming. Just have to wait then. ;) Polly Co

Level 2
Hi Anna, I'm so glad to hear that you're working on this! Will save me lots of time. I'll keep my eye out for the Beta Preview with the 2017.3 release. Thanks for the info. Hilary Hilary Markoe KVH Marketing

Level 2
Thank you for your feedback. That's what we were targeting for, to save your time. Thank you again! Anna Asatryan Product Manager, Workfront

Level 1
Hi there, Along the line of copying projects, I haven't been able to figure out how to copy a project with a template and then remove the original template on the copied project and replace it with a different template. We track our video projects in two stages, production and post-production, and a template exists for each stage. I want to retain custom form info on the copied project. Feedback appreciated and thanks, Carol Carol Wong Corporate Marketing, McKesson

Level 3
Anna - is this the release happening yet this month? I really need this functionality to reduce the number of individual template requests that I am getting. Connie Sutherland BSC

Level 2
Hi Connie, The release is coming this week. Here are more exact information: Production release dates The 2017.3 release will be available in the Production environment on the following dates: • Workfront Proof Production environment - November 7 • Workfront Production environment for clusters 2 and 4 - November 9 • Workfront Production environment for clusters 1, 3, and 5 - November 10 If you are an administrator in your account, you should have received an announcement about this. Any changes or updates that may occur will also be communicated. Looking forward to your feedback on the new functionality. Anna Asatryan Workfront

Level 10
Hi Anna, When would that email have gone out. I don't believe I've received anything on the actual Deployment Dates. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
Hi Vic, I see this showing up in the Workfront "Announcements" section on 11/3 (also got pinged on the announcement via email notification on 11/3.) Subject: "2017.3 Production Dates and Release Information". It outlined the deployment dates Anna mentions above. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Thanks Terry. I don't believe I got any emails in this. I'll have to check my clutter or junk. But I'm obviously getting this email. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | Senior IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 Http://www.denverwater.org Sent via mobile phone