Expand my Community achievements bar.

Column with Calculated Field - Render Field as Clickable HTML Link

Level 6
SITUATION: I have a calculated field that concatenates a field value with a hyperlink, to make a clickable hyperlink directly to a page (I put a Ticket Number into one field, and then the calculated field takes the ticket number and combines it with a URL structure, so I have a direct link to the Ticket). The custom field is a calculated field, format Text. WHAT I WANT: I want the field to render as a clickable HTML hyperlink in the report, instead of a text string. The default URL field renders this way in reports. On the object pages, it renders with a hyperlink. But not in reports. -- Here's the text mode of my columns valuefield=Ticket Link querysort=DE:Ticket Link valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString displayname= linkedname=direct namekey=Ticket Link The URL field renders as valuefield=url querysort=url valueformat=HTML displayname= linkedname=direct namekey=url -- I tried changing the value format from "customDataLabelsAsString" to "HTML" but that caused the field to be blank in my report. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much! Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

21 Replies

Level 10
Here's what I have on creating links in reports... I suspect one of these will give you what you're after depending on the type of report. Friendly URL (Using Native URL Field) displayname=Link link.url=url linkedname=html(URL) textmode=true valueexpression={name} valueformat=HTML Friendly URL (Using URL Field on ISSUE Report) valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({url}),"","View") linkedname=html(URL) valueformat=HTML displayname=Issue/Project link.url=url textmode=true Friendly URL (Using URL Field on PROJECT Report) valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({URL}),"","View") linkedname=html(URL) valueformat=HTML displayname=Shortcut link.url=URL textmode=true Friendly URL (Using Custom Field with "Click Here" on Issue Report) displayname=Shortcut textmode=true valueformat=HTML value=Click Here link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Custom Field Name) Friendly URL (Using Custom Field as Name on issue report) displayname=Shortcut link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Document Path) textmode=true valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:Document Path}),"",{DE:Document Path}) valueformat=HTML Edit Custom Form Link in Report displayname=Click to Edit linkedname=direct namekey=category.name tile.name=component.objectcategories valuefield=objectcategoriesNamesString valueformat=HTML viewalias=category.name ------Original Message------ SITUATION: I have a calculated field that concatenates a field value with a hyperlink, to make a clickable hyperlink directly to a page (I put a Ticket Number into one field, and then the calculated field takes the ticket number and combines it with a URL structure, so I have a direct link to the Ticket). The custom field is a calculated field, format Text. WHAT I WANT: I want the field to render as a clickable HTML hyperlink in the report, instead of a text string.  The default URL field renders this way in reports. On the object pages, it renders with a hyperlink.  But not in reports. -- Here's the text mode of my columns valuefield=Ticket Link querysort=DE:Ticket Link valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString displayname= linkedname=direct namekey=Ticket Link The URL field renders as valuefield=url querysort=url valueformat=HTML displayname= linkedname=direct namekey=url -- I tried changing the value format from "customDataLabelsAsString" to "HTML" but that caused the field to be blank in my report. Do you have any suggestions?  Thank you so much! Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Level 7

Thank you Narayan...black belt Workfront reporting wizard! You have once again saved me from the spinning wheel of death that is textmode. 😎

Level 10

Wow @Sarah Wilkerson‚ , the fact that you were able to locate and decipher this to the point of being useful is impressive. In case you haven't seen it, here's some documentation on creating URLs you might find useful.

Thanks,

Narayan

Level 1

You're a genius! Wherever you are, thank you for this! 👏

Level 6
Thank you so much! That answered my question & fixed my problem. And thank you for going the extra mile to make different versions based on the type of report. I realize I didn't specify that in my original post. Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Level 10
You're welcome. It was a copy and paste from my library, so no real effort involved!

Level 9
Hey @Narayan Raum - I'm trying to link to the project reference ID on a task report. It doesn't seem to take no matter what I update to (swapping out name with project ID. What am I missing? displayname=Project URL shortview=true textmode=true valueexpression=CONCAT("https://ascensus.my.workfront.com/project/view?ID=",{project}.{referenceNumber}) valueformat=HTML width=15

Level 10
Hi Christina, please try the following: displayname=Project URL shortview=true textmode=true valueexpression=CONCAT("https://ascensus.my.workfront.com/project/view?ID=",{project}.{ ID }) valueformat=HTML width=15

Level 9
This is what it's giving me, vs. just displaying the ID #. Hmmm.

Level 10
Hi Christina, I suggest you try this adjusted version with the https:// portion added. This should produce a clickable link in the output. displayname=Project URL shortview=true textmode=true valueexpression=CONCAT("https://"https://ascensus.my.workfront.com/project/view?ID=" title="https://ascensus.my.workfront.com/project/view?ID=">ascensus.my.workfront.com/project/view?ID=",{project}.{ ID }) valueformat=HTML width=15

Level 9
Hmm that didn't do it either. Same thing.

Level 10
I think I might be missing what the desired outcome is. Can you explain what you're trying to accomplish? Thanks, Narayan

Level 9
Right now, the full project name and ID is in the column as a link. I am trying to make that link (to the project) as just the project ID. So on my task report, the column is only taking up 6 digits with vs. the whole long link or project name. This is to eliminate having to click on the task name, then click on the parent project, to get to the back to the list of tasks. (so ideally the only thing to show is 999999 that you can click on. (

Level 3

Christina,

Is this what you were looking to achieve?

displayname=

link.linkproperty.0.name=projectID

link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=projectID

link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=int

link.lookup=link.view

link.valuefield=project:objCode

link.valueformat=val

linkedname=direct

namekey=project.referenceNumber

namekeyargkey.0=project

namekeyargkey.1=referenceNumber

querysort=project:referenceNumber

textmode=true

valuefield=project:referenceNumber

valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Hi @Christina Jarosz , your explanation helps a lot. This can be accomplished by changing valuefield=name as seen in this example: link.valueformat=val link.linkproperty.0.name=ID link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=int link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=ID link.valuefield=objCode valuefield=referenceNumber textmode=true valueformat=HTML shortview=false It should give you this in the view: Thanks, Narayan

Level 9
Thanks! It's interesting - using the code above it does work on a project report. But in this context, although I changed it to project:referenceNumber it doesnt work in my task report (which is what its being used on) This works: This does not:

Level 10
Hi Christina, I'm also unable to get a clickable link to render from a task report. Do you have a standard task-based custom form on these tasks that you can add a calculated field to? If you do, I can give you the synax for a clickable reference number as desired. Thanks, Narayan

Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I would like to implement one of the following External URL Hyperlink solutions for Package Shipment Tracking Numbers - including multiple Split Shipment Tracking Numbers in the same Field:

+An Issue Report Text Mode Code that converts one or more URLs placed in a Custom Paragraph Text Field into one or more corresponding Hyperlinks (preferably shorter).

+A Calculated Custom Field that takes one or more URLs in a Custom Paragraph Text Field and converts into one or more corresponding Hyperlinks (preferably shorter).

The Issue Report’s current working Non-Hyperlink Text Mode Code is:

displayname=

linkedname=direct

namekey=Tracking Number

querysort=DE:Tracking Number

textmode=true

valuefield=Tracking Number

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

On WFPro, there are the following two chunks of Text Mode Code:

---1---

Issue Report – Custom Text

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({url}),"","View")

linkedname=html(URL)

valueformat=HTML

displayname=URL (Custom Text)

link.url=url

textmode=true

---2---

Issue Report – Custom Field – Custom Text

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:IA Template URL}),"","Click Here")

link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(IA Template URL)

textmode=true

valueformat=HTML

displayname=URL in Custom Field (Custom Text)

The WFPro Description for the above 2 options states:

“Present links in URL or custom fields in a user-friendly manner.”

I tried Option 1 in the Custom Field by itself and the Field would not show anything, even though there were URLs displayed previously. Do you know how I might revise my current working Issue Report Text Mode Code, so that it might work? Also, do you know what the Code would be to work this out using a Calculated Custom Field? Thanks so much for your time and any help you may give.

Seth

Level 10

Hi Seth, if you're up for a crash course in clickable hyperlinks from custom forms, let's get a quick call and screen share going. I've got a ton of functional examples to rely on for a WFPro text mode crash course. Bring a friend if you want. https://wf-pro.com/contact

Level 2

Narayan showed me the answer and was super helpful! Here is the solution for converting a single URL into a clickable Hyperlink:

https://wf-pro.com/textmode/text-mode-views/#display-field-as-text

Issue Report – Custom Field – Custom Text

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:IA Template URL}),"","Click Here")

link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(IA Template URL)

textmode=true

valueformat=HTML

displayname=URL in Custom Field (Custom Text)

STEPS:

+Create a Custom Field in an Issue Report.

+Copy and paste the above Text Mode Code into the Custom Field.

+Replace every instance of “IA Template URL” with the Name of the Custom Field containing the URL.

+Also, “Click Here” can be changed to whatever the Text needs to Display or a Function.

+Lastly, the Text“URL in Custom Field (Custom Text)” can be altered to Display a Custom Column Name.

For example, my Code is below and is referencing my URL Custom Field entitled “Tracking Number”:

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:Tracking Number}),"","View Shipment")

link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Tracking Number)

textmode=true

valueformat=HTML

displayname=Tracking Number Link

Thanks again Narayan!