Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Coding help for custom column in report

Level 2

I'm new to creating custom columns in reports and I'm having trouble with the below.

I want to create a column that shows if a task is completed by looking for the task name and the percent complete is under 100%.

Here is the code that I came up with but it's not populating the column.

displayname= Instructor Materials Upload

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(tasks).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression= IF({name}="Upload instructor materials"&&{percentComplete}<100,"Not Done","")

valueformat=HTML

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Karen, 

Here's the good news, the basic structure of your text mode works. I'm not sure what is happening in your instance of WF, but I suspect it's something fairly easy to problem solve. Here a couple steps you can take to make sure everything on your side is set up for what you need. 

1) Since this is a collection text mode, double check you're in the right report. i,e, Project Report. This will not work in a Task Report since you're already in that object. 

2) Double check spelling and capitalization is accurate for the Task you are trying to target. WF can be finicky at times and it's good habit building to be as accurate as you can. 

3) Test on something you know should work. i.e. a Test Project with Test Tasks. See if you can get it to work there first and then adjust what you need to make it work globally. 

Hopefully, this helps. 

Best,

Joaquin

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

You could just use column formatting for this... go to your column and can add rules to highlight the cells or whole rows that match a task name and is less than 100%. You can still have the column read as 'Not Done' in place of the % completion if you'd like. Maybe have the rule on the % complete column and just filter the report itself to only those tasks with the certain name you're looking for?

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1712078515084.png

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Karen, 

Here's the good news, the basic structure of your text mode works. I'm not sure what is happening in your instance of WF, but I suspect it's something fairly easy to problem solve. Here a couple steps you can take to make sure everything on your side is set up for what you need. 

1) Since this is a collection text mode, double check you're in the right report. i,e, Project Report. This will not work in a Task Report since you're already in that object. 

2) Double check spelling and capitalization is accurate for the Task you are trying to target. WF can be finicky at times and it's good habit building to be as accurate as you can. 

3) Test on something you know should work. i.e. a Test Project with Test Tasks. See if you can get it to work there first and then adjust what you need to make it work globally. 

Hopefully, this helps. 

Best,

Joaquin

Level 2

Thanks for the help!  I was trying to do this in a task report.  Now I'll try it in a project report.

Level 2

Great news!  It worked now in a project report!  Next question.  How do I create a column in the project report for a task name?  Is that possible?  The task name is QA the session.

Level 2

Actually, I think it would be better if I could create a filter for the task name.  So, what would be the coding for that filter?

Level 3

Hi Karen, 

I'm glad the text mode worked in a Project Report. That's awesome!

Based on your next two questions, I wonder if a Task Report would better for what you're trying to accomplish, as it sounds like you're doing an audit of all your Projects that have the Task named "Upload instructor materials" and returning those that are not complete. Is this correct? If so, this could help reduce any text mode that would be needed. 

Also, it sounds like you may be trying to capture other information. If so, it may be good to map this out on "paper" (off of WF, i.e. in Excel) first and then determine the best object report to build. Be warned though, not all information maybe pulled into the report. 

Best,

Joaquin

Community Advisor

I can't say for sure but I'm wondering if it's because your task name is not exactly as you put it above, including case. So if your task name was "Upload Instructor Materials" and you search on "Upload instructor materials", it will not match with your actual task name. I always advocate for people to try troubleshooting their valueexpression by building a simple expression and adding on. In your case, you could have tried something super simple like a valueexpression=IF({name}="___","Yes","No") and built your way up from here. The premise being that if you're stuck at the very beginning, then at least you know what to fix.

Users who run across case sensitivity issues will often go back to the link below and investigate throwing an UPPER or LOWER into the mix. Again... try to make sure you have the name searching working correctly before moving onto the percent complete and the rest of the calculation.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/reporting/reports/calculated-custom-data/...