Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Changing issue priority based on calculated field?

Level 4
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to change the Issue status based off of a calculated field. The goal that I am looking for is that if someone chooses a certain queue topic, then it would assign a custom form to the issue and then change the issue priority to Urgent. The key is getting that issue to automatically change to Urgent and not have to rely on the user changing the priority. My initial thoughts was that if they choose the queue topic, it would automatically set the priority based on the topic but I didn't see that as an option so I was brainstorming that maybe it could be done through a custom field and calculated field to change the priority on submit of the issue but was unsure if this could be done. Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Scott Scott Sax Loyola University Maryland
7 Replies

Level 10
The only way I can think of to do that would be through the API. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 4
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll have to figure out a different plan. Thanks Vic! Scott Sax Loyola University Maryland

Level 10
Hi Scott, Instead of trying to update the built in Issue Priority (via the API as Vic suggested), perhaps you could create a calculated parameter called Calculated Priority and use the latter to manage your Issues. Regards, Doug

Level 4
Hey Doug, Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about that one too and will play with it a bit. Here's the scenario. We have been using an issue queue to manage issues on a project. the project deals with converting reports over to SQL. Once converted over, they are moved to production and in an operational state. The problem is though that when an issue occurs and that reports stops working for whatever reason, we want to track it against the project but want to make it a priority issue since its in operation. People aren't always adjusting the priority and we want to make sure that the people resolving the issue know its an urgent priority on an operational item. So basically I am trying to figure out the best way to make this stand out to the people resolving so it doesn't get lost in the queue. - Scott Scott Sax Loyola University Maryland

Level 10
Hi Scott, If "Operational" is stored elsewhere on the Issue, I'd suggest breaking those Issues into their own report, or grouping within the report, and/or using conditional formatting in a list to highlighting the priority column in red (regardless of the priority) to draw attention to it. Lots of valid approaches. Regards, Doug

Level 1
I agree with Doug. We use Issue "types" quite liberally through a custom form on the Issue object, with a dropdown list of selectable types. Then we have a report filtered as we want on a dashboard that is a landing page for the relevant resolving group. Custom format based on the type field helps highlight issues of particular types. This is great where there is an alignment between type and priority. I've also used a calculated filed to show the amount of days the issue has been open and used that for custom formatting as well and also prioritization. How you do it depends on the end upon your business rules :) Good luck! Stuart Stuart Lloyd Alberta Energy Regulator

Level 4
Thanks everyone, all great suggestions. What I ultimately decided to do without spending too much time on it was that I copied the custom form that I was using on the form then added in descriptive text on the new custom form. When the person chooses the right queue topic, this custom form is attached which has all the right fields but then also has the descriptive text that basically just tells the person to change the priority to Urgent. We'll see how it goes. Thanks! Scott Scott Sax Loyola University Maryland