Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Can you mass close projects even if there are tasks remaining to be completed?

Level 3

I'm 99% sure I know the answer, but...

We launched company wide late last year. There is a widespread problem of projects not completing, so we have a lot that have 1-2 tasks left and are functionally complete from the owner's perspective. The hope is to clean all of these up with a sysadmin. However, it seems that even if you change the completion mode from Automatic to manual, Workfront won't let you close the project out. I am getting this:

Error

403: Project cannot be marked Complete if there are open issues and tasks that are not complete.

/attask/api-internal/PROJ/652fca9d0000a4607d46b0abb2eb9bdb

It would be great if we could update at the project level versus diving into every project to close the tasks, but I imagine this is by design as it's a case of bad project management vs bad functionality.  Marking the project "Dead" works, but would break reporting volume numbers.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@RyanMcGee - projects can not be marked complete with outstanding issues or tasks as by design they are not "complete". You would have to remove those tasks in order to manually close the project or for the auto-complete to trigger the project closing. And yes as you suspected using dead will resolve it but won't pull into filters looking for only completed projects. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 7

In my experience you need to close out or delete all outstanding tasks and issues before completing a project.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@RyanMcGee - projects can not be marked complete with outstanding issues or tasks as by design they are not "complete". You would have to remove those tasks in order to manually close the project or for the auto-complete to trigger the project closing. And yes as you suspected using dead will resolve it but won't pull into filters looking for only completed projects.