Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Calculate parent percent complete as an average of child task percent complete

Level 10
I have a PM who has a plan with a bunch of tasks performed by third parties. We do not plan labor hours for third party consultants, as we do not plan their work. We create a milestone that represents their work - we black-box it, as it were. The problem is that the parent task percent complete is zero as long as the parent has all children with zero planned hours. Can anything think of how I can find the average of the percent complete of all children (one level down) of a parent? I would want a calculated attribute. I don't know how to aggregate some numeric aspect of all children of a parent. Any thoughts? Thanks
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Eric. My Going The Extra Milestone blog post migh be helpful, in particular, this little gem: "Each [child Task] has a token Duration of 0.1 Hours for percent complete calculations, and zero Work required." Regards, Doug

Level 7
Eric, I'd like to make sure I understand this scenario, as I read it, Workfront does this automatically. So you have a parent task and several children underneath it. Are you entering in the percent complete for the children? Normally they rollup to the parent to give you the average, no? I'm know I'm missing something here.

Level 10
{{Greg}} If there are no planned hours for the children, the parent percent complete will always be zero, until all children are closed. The Parent percent complete does not reflect the aggregated child percent complete. If there are planned hours in the children, the parent percent complete works the way you think it should. Thanks, Eric

Level 7
Ah, yes, that was the key - no planned hours on the children. Thanks for the clarification.

Level 10
Precisely, Eric -- hence my token 0.1 hours suggestion above: small enough to calculate percent complete, but not large enough to materially affect the timeline. Regards, Doug