Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Blocking Time Weekly?

Level 2
Does anyone have a best practice for blocking off 1-2 hours a week from resourcing, while also allowing time to track? We are a very time based team (of 40 people) so we need to be able to track planned and actual time in Workfront. Idea is that this would leave time for L&D, performance growth, mentoring, etc. Only solution I can come up with is a project with a task for each user, planned time of 2 hours and they would have to update the date each week to keep it active in our resourcing views as an active planned time. Eventually I think this will fall off of the radar and find a dusty corner of WF to hide in... Any other ideas? Thanks! Daniel Clarke Sysco Company
8 Replies

Level 2
I am going through this same decision process with our teams here. We are an advertising department with five different teams. Right now what I have done with 2 of the teams is set them to 37.5 hours a week. I then know that we have about 30 minutes a day for bathroom breaks or stand up and walk around for a few minutes. And then we plan to only have them up to about 85-90% capacity for the week to allow them time for learning and development/last minute projects that come in. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts though! Lauren McCollim Advertising Project Manager Pensacola Christian College

Level 2
Thanks Lauren! So far we have been on holding to our 40 hour full FTE as our execs want to be sure we can record all time not just billable time. I'd be concerned that if we reduced our total schedule it would give the perception that less work is needed, not that time is allocated to those L&D type activities. Daniel Clarke Sysco Company

Level 9
We actually do this. In our environment we have a "support" project that has tasks for each person created each year. The task start/stop dates are 1/1-12/31 and the planned hours are a percentage of 2080 as determined by management. This task then shows on the timesheet and can be logged against for the entire year. In your case, if you want 2 hours a week, you would probably give each task 104 planned hours (for the 52 weeks in a year), less anything you want to pre-account for like 2 weeks vacation annually or whatever. Important: Assign only one person to each task, and remind them NOT to close the task until year end. Alison Wells, MBA Senior Business Analyst Corporate Information Systems Business Systems Group Community Administrative Support Building (CASB) 2530 Divisadero St, Fresno, CA 93721 Office: (559) 459-7008, Internal: x57008 Cell/Pager: (559) 287-6800 - WARNING/CONFIDENTIAL: - This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Reply to the sender informing them of the error and then destroy all copies and attachments of the message from your system. Thank you.

Level 2
Thank you @Skye Hansen ! That is exactly what we are looking for! Daniel Clarke Sysco Company

Level 2
Hey @Alison Wells ! That is just what we were thinking about, but we run a lot of reports based on planned hours and didn't want a 104 hour chunk throwing off our reporting. The comment from Skye for the recurring task looks like it should do the trick for us! Daniel Clarke Sysco Company

Level 5
What about adding a General Time type that describes these activities and mark them Revenue generating Yes/No? Does this really need to be associated to project? ImreMagyar VODAFONE Group

Level 2
@Imre Magyar we do use the General Overhead section of the timesheet to track admin time, but we were looking for a way to block off / allocate time on our schedules from a capacity perspective so a general bucket would not work for that. Daniel Clarke Sysco Company