Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Attaching Emails to Workfront Documents via Workfront plugin on Outlook

Level 2

Hi - Can I attach Outlook emails to Workfront Documents (in a given project) through the Workfront plugin on Outlook 365?

The plugin only gives me 4 options: 

Add to Work adds only a task or an issue to a project and the email becomes part of the task/issue description.

Reply to Comment and Submit Request isn't relevant to my question. 

Update in Workfront adds the email as part of a Project Update.

But I'd like the email added as part of Documents in a project. Please assist! 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you have the email you want with the attachment, prompt the WF Plugin and choose the 'Update in WorkFront' option. You'll be prompted to select the project you want the update in, and then will see the contents of the email, including attachments. If you only want the attachment(s) uploaded to Docs, remove all the email content from the WF plugin area and keep only the attachment(s), which you'll see at the bottom. You don't have to tag anyone at this stage, but you can. Then click Update.

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1682529674155.png

Then you will see in the project's Docs tab that you specified that the attachment is uploaded in a new folder called 'Email Attachments' in Docs.

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

Unfortunately, this isn't supported. As you have correctly outlined in your post, you can only add the email as an update to a task, issue or project (and upload the email as a document to that object). Or add it as work (which will create either a personal task, or a task/issue on an existing project). 

The only workaround I can think of would be to add the email as an update to a project, but delete all of the contents of the update field before pushing into Workfront. This would still create an empty update in the system, but atleast it wont pollute the updates stream with the contents of your email.

Best Regards,

Rich. 

Level 7

The option that you are excluding "submit request" can actually carry over eml file to Workfront and put it to documents. The difficulty I see is that you would need every project set as request queue in order to be able to upload documents to them via the plugin.
just as an example, both of these result from email:

Rafal_Bainie_0-1682501109733.png

as a matter of fact mp4 attachment gets duplicated, because it's in the email and is also uploaded separately. that's usual for this plugin

Community Advisor

Along the lines of what @Richard_Le_ said, you can still send the file to a project's docs tab and just remove the rest of the email body in the WF Outlook plugin before sending it to your project. It will automatically populate in your project's Docs tab (will create a folder automatically called Email Attachments, which I don't see a way around, but still gets the doc in there!).

Level 2

Hi, how do I send the file to a project's docs tab using the plugin? 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

When you have the email you want with the attachment, prompt the WF Plugin and choose the 'Update in WorkFront' option. You'll be prompted to select the project you want the update in, and then will see the contents of the email, including attachments. If you only want the attachment(s) uploaded to Docs, remove all the email content from the WF plugin area and keep only the attachment(s), which you'll see at the bottom. You don't have to tag anyone at this stage, but you can. Then click Update.

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1682529674155.png

Then you will see in the project's Docs tab that you specified that the attachment is uploaded in a new folder called 'Email Attachments' in Docs.

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )