Expand my Community achievements bar.

Assigned and Actual Hours on a project by Role

Level 4
Hi, We have a requirement to display planned and actual hours on various tasks on the project grouped by Job Role. Idea is to show planned and actual hours for each role assigned to tasks on the project. We tried developing this report but the grand totals never match with the planned and actual hours on the project. We identified a couple of causes so far 1. In some cases, parent task's planned and actual hours both get included. This results in double counting. 2. Sometimes there will be planned hours on a few tasks but no assignments made. Is anyone aware of another way to get planned and actual hours by job role for a project?
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi - we only look at hours for tasks with NUMBER OF CHILDREN equal to zero. That gets all of the parent tasks out of there. Next, there are rare occasions when the planned/actual hours at the Project level don't equal the sum of the tasks. In that case, go to project actions and select recalculate timeline, followed by recalculate finances. Give it a try, let us know how it goes. Eric

Level 10
Hi Sadashiv, I recommend trying a matrix report. I am pretty confident that this will give you what you want. Group the matrix report by Job Role Name and something like Project Name, unless you want any other more detailed groupings. Hours from parent tasks will be included if actual hours are logged against the parent, in which case the data is correct (though the users may have logged time in the wrong place, which is another matter). If you really want to exclude tasks which have not yet been assigned to a resource, then you can set your filter with "Assigned to ID is not blank". However, if you do this then your report will not pick up actual hours (and therefore not match the Project total hours) where someone has logged them on a task which was not assigned to anybody. Regards, David