Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Asset Bulk Import in Workfront

Level 1

Hello everyone,

is there a way to bulk import the assets from an external source to Workfront? because i need to integrate Workfront with AEM and import all the current assets from external source, but to maintain the event subscription between both system i think the best way is to import the asset from the external source and then from Workfront to AEM. 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I haven't come across a way to automatically send an asset from AEM to Workfront and create a link between the two. Only the manual route you mention. In the use cases I've come across, assets are typically added to Workfront as and when they need to be worked on / updated and then sent back to AEM. Not the other way around.

If you find that adding to Workfront first is the right way to go, you'll likely need to build something to programmatically upload the assets and their metadata to the linked folders you have created in Workfront using the Workfront API.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

No, there is no native bulk import function for assets into Workfront. To do this you'd likely need to use the API to programmatically upload each document and it's associated metadata but you'd need to be mindful of API limits and guardrails if you doing this with a large number of assets.

I'm not sure of your specific use case and why Event Subscriptions need to honoured for your asset migration, but I'd lean towards bulk importing into AEM first becuse it has a dedicated bulk import function.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Hi Rich, thank you very much.

Yes I know that the correct way is to import the asset into AEM, but my concern / doubt is if I then have the possibility to activate event subscriptions and keep the metadata / changes sync activated and and working correctly, because the normal flow is to import an asset into a workfront project and then thanks to the linked folders the change sync works correctly.

Community Advisor

Ahh, understood.

If you add an asset to Workfront from AEM, the metadata will appear in Workfront under the document details area. Any changes made to the metadata in AEM will be automatically synced to the document Workfront:

Screenshot 2024-07-04 135402.png

The downside is that this metadata area is not editable in Workfront, is it simply a feed from AEM. If you needed to update it from Workfront you would need to attach a custom form (containing fields that are mapped to AEM) and update the necessary values in the form which will then sync back to AEM.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Correct, but how do you add an asset in aem automatically to workfront? the user should add it manually in the projects's document area, right?
and in this case the client has hundreds of assets in an external repository, we need to migrate them to the aem-workfront ecosystem so I think the right thing to do would be to import them into workfront in their respective projects so that automatically thanks to the connector the folders are created in aem and the assets are sent

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I haven't come across a way to automatically send an asset from AEM to Workfront and create a link between the two. Only the manual route you mention. In the use cases I've come across, assets are typically added to Workfront as and when they need to be worked on / updated and then sent back to AEM. Not the other way around.

If you find that adding to Workfront first is the right way to go, you'll likely need to build something to programmatically upload the assets and their metadata to the linked folders you have created in Workfront using the Workfront API.

thanks Rich!

yes, that's what I thought and I didn't find anything in the documentation, that's why I consulted the community to see if there was anything ootb.