Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Anyone know the text mode for a large thumbnail preview column in a PROOF APPROVAL report?

Community Advisor

I have a Proof Approval report and I'm trying to add an additional column to display a preview (large thumbnail) of the document. I'm hoping it's not too many jumps to get from proof approval to document version to document large thumbnail.

12 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey Monique,

So this is the only textmode I have, which will pull in a thumbnail on proof approval report, but not all file types are supported so not a great solution (namely pdf files, often the most proofed format!)

displayname=Thumbnail
image.valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL
textmode=true
type=image
valuefield=documentVersion:document:previewURL
valueformat=HTML

Are you able to achieve the same report requirements using a document version report instead? Thumbnail is natively available in this type of report (and PDF's supported).

Best Regards,

Rich. 

Community Advisor

Thanks, Richard this helps! Unfortunately, it only seems to work for select proofs; and I can't figure out the reason.

Proof Approval Preview Column.png

Level 1

did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue. I think in my case, proofs with one file work, but multiple assets/sizes don't. 

What's interesting is the proofing tools makes thumbnails for everything, including webpages... so I wonder what those are called and how to index them.

Community Advisor

I think it has something to do with the number of versions. Any proof with just one version renders with no issue but multiple versions result in the broken icon. Have not yet figured out a code update to point to the current document version and preview that

Level 2

Anyone had luck getting this to work for proofs with multiple versions? 

Level 3

Following up on this...has anyone figured out how to fix this and show a image if there are multiple versions? THANKS!

Community Advisor

I have not. Since it's been a while, could you reach out to Support and see if they have a recommendation for us? When I reached out in 2022 they said it was performing as expected.

Level 3

I agree! I put in a support ticket yesterday and they are looking into it now. I will report back with their feedback. 

Level 2

Was Support able to give any support on this? I would love to have thumbnails on a report for either proofs or documents!

Level 3

They emailed me earlier this week that they are still working on it! Hopefully they send a response soon.

Level 2

I was able to make a Document Version report work with this filter:

EXISTS:1:$$OBJCODE=DOCU

EXISTS:1:ID=FIELD:documentID

EXISTS:1:project:status=CUR

EXISTS:1:project:status_Mod=in

EXISTS:2:$$OBJCODE=PRFAPL

EXISTS:2:approverID=$$USER.ID

EXISTS:2:approverID_Mod=in

EXISTS:2:documentVersionID=FIELD:ID

EXISTS:2:isAwaitingDecision=true

EXISTS:2:isAwaitingDecision_Mod=eq

isCurrentVersion=true

isCurrentVersion_Mod=eq

proofDecision=pending

proofDecision_Mod=cieq

proofID_Mod=notblank

If you need a proof deadline column, use this text mode:

displayname=Proof Deadline

querysort=proofDeadlineDate

textmode=true

valuefield=proofDeadlineDate

valueformat=atDate

Thumbnail:

use Document > Thumbnail

Project Name:

displayname=Project

linkedname=document

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=document

namekeyargkey.1=project:name

querysort=document:project:name

sharecol=true

shortview=true

textmode=true

valueexpression={document}.{project}.{name}

valueformat=HTML

Approvers:

displayname=Approvers

listdelimiter=<p>

listmethod=nested(proofApprovals).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=CONCAT("• ",{approver}.{name})

valueformat=HTML

Level 3

Here is the response from Support. Unfortunately, there is currently no text mode to do what we want to do in the Proof Approval report. 

"Currently, with the text mode you are utilizing of showing the preview image of the file uploaded to Workfront as a document, will only process a thumbnail if the file type is an image file (such as JPG or PNG). Any other file types will not display as they are not supported.

The only workaround that I can suggest here is to pull a Document report instead. A document report will have an option to include a "Large Thumbnail" column natively (via standard mode) so that PDF thumbnails will also display. And then any proofing information you would like to include, you can add via the "Current Version" header through standard mode as well."